Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an old pentium II with cyrix MII 300mhz, 8gb hd,164mb ram and currently running xp pro And i was wondering what would be the best distrobution of linux and what version. My second question is my pc does not have a cd burner only my mac so can I download and burn the ISO's with toast on my mac and then use them on my pc. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you can absolutely burn a iso with your mac...For simplicity of use, I'd probably try a bootable iso of linux first knoppix etc.

If you plan on installing it though. I'd suggest a lighter window manager then KDE or Gnome (these are generally the defaults). I'd suggest something like xfce, icewm(for a windowslike gui look), fluxbox, or really any of the *box wm's. It'll feel a bit more peppy then xp. KDE and or gnome will unfortunately feel about the same on speed as the xp does. It might be faster but not like night and day.

http://www.linuxiso.org/ <--best place to get the iso images.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i have started to download KNOPPIX so when i go to burn should i burn it as iso 9660 or just copy and paste the data files. Becasue I tried to make a bootable cd on my mac for my pc before with red hat and it didnt work. but i know my Bios on my pc supports bootable cds because thats how I installed xp pro so is there a certain way I have to burn on my mac ?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
applecrisp said:
Well i have started to download KNOPPIX so when i go to burn should i burn it as iso 9660 or just copy and paste the data files. Becasue I tried to make a bootable cd on my mac for my pc before with red hat and it didnt work. but i know my Bios on my pc supports bootable cds because thats how I installed xp pro so is there a certain way I have to burn on my mac ?
Burning the CD image with Toast (full version)

1. In Toast, go to the "Format" menu and choose "Disc Image."
2. Click the "Data..." button. Avoid the "Mount" button! If you mount the image you will damage it, and have to download it all over again.
3. Burn the CD

or...

Burning the CD with Disk Copy in Mac OS X

1. Open Disk Copy, which can be found in /Applications/Utilities
2. Choose "Burn Image..." from the "Image" menu.
3. Locate the image you wish to burn (i.e. your.iso).
4. Insert a blank CD-R or CD-RW.
5. Click the "Burn" button!
reference: http://www.mklinux.org/getting_started/cdsources.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so I burned the image on my mac and went to my pc booted up the unix like screen which checks the hardware came up and did its thing but when it went into the gui interface it messed my monitor all up there were like all these lines and like 6 or 7 of the desktops I have a screenshot on my unfinished webpage www.thinkoutsidetheboard.tk its just the main picture on the home page.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.