Hi Guys,

I had got a new pc around 6 months ago. Its spects are -

INTEL Pentium D (Dual Core) 930 ..3 GHZ
Intel 945GNT chipset

1 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT
Creative Audigy 2 sound card
TV Tuner card

Its an assembled pc and is working fine. There has been one issue though. My system runs hot. I know its dual core but its idle temperature is around 60 C. When I found that I had reapplied thermal compound (couple of months ago) when i thought the original one must have got a bit rusty when i was installing the stock cooler (fan).

So for last six months I have been using it and its worked allright. Recently I read that running the system at that temperature will not give optimum results and can damage the cpu. So far i have had no problem with games but when I tried playing game FEAR my system was struggling to run it in full graphics.

What I want to know is that should I let my system be what it is or should i buy new heatsink or so. I did research and i found that Zalman CPU cooling fans are popular and arctic silver compound is preferred but being in my city I dont think it would be easy to find those. Is my pc running slow?

Oh ya, one more thing, I also installed 3 fans on my cpu cabinet so that hot air is blown out. Two fans act as exhaust and blow air out and are on left side of cabinet. One fan on the back blow air out and is on the rear. There is no space in the front to install a fan that could blow air in.

When I tested by opening my cabinet and running my system, the Idle Temp was around: 53-55 C.

My graphic card also gives temp reading. Its idle temp is usually around 58 C. When playing it can rise upto 65 C or maybe more. The temp in my city can go upto 46 C in summers and around 8 C in winters. Its winter here and still the temp on my cpu hasnt changed much (maybe a little).

Any advices as to what do i do will be appreciated.

Thanks,
JG

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Please tell me what case fan setup you are using? what is the location of the fans on the case? what direction are they blowing (in or out)?
when reapplying the thermal paste how much did you use? you sure you done this properly? to much is not good, Did you completely remove the old compound completely?

You should not need a aftermarket heatsink. Have adequate airflow threw the case and it should be just fine.

Your video card is fine. 50C is normal for that card. start reaching past 60C then there is possible something to be looked at.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
jackgreat said:
Oh ya, one more thing, I also installed 3 fans on my cpu cabinet so that hot air is blown out. Two fans act as exhaust and blow air out and are on left side of cabinet. One fan on the back blow air out and is on the rear. There is no space in the front to install a fan that could blow air in.

When I tested by opening my cabinet and running my system, the Idle Temp was around: 53-55 C.
What you are describing is poor case thermal design. A Presler core processor idling at 60C is too warm. The thermal spec for that processor is 63.4C.

Since you do not have a mount point for a front fan what I would suggest initially is to reverse the airflow on the two fans mounted on the left side of the cabinet so they are bringing cooling air INTO the chassis rather that evacuating warm air.

If one of the fans is directly inline with the processor cooler, a better alternative would be to remove that fan and replace it with an airguide, and have one side fan bringing cooling air INTO the chassis, the airguide directed to the processor cooler and the rear exhaust fan exhausting the warm air.

With a good thermal design case a Presler processor will normally idle around 45-49C.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by jackgreat

LOL I don't know how i missed that, sorry
I was pretty sure it was case cooling. this would be your issue. You need fresh air blowing into the case as well.

PC airflow and heat - a cooling guide: At a glance

THE HEATSINK GUIDE: Case Cooling

How To: Quiet Your PC Using Free Software

Cooling your Computer

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
Along with increasing the case cooling, make sure you tie up any cables, power connectors, etc. This helps with airflow.

What service pack do you have installed? I am wondering because when sp2 is installed it has native support for EIST which will greatly lower idle temps. As an example here is a screenshot of a 940; same core just faster clockspeed running @31C at idle.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yesterday I opened the case of my pc and ran my system. With the pc case open , the processor idle temp was approx 52 - 53 C at idle. This indicates that with my current heatsink setup the temp will not fall below 50 C.

I closed the case with both the fans on the side of the cabinet acting as exhaust. The situation got worse as it was heating even more because of no fresh air being blown inside. So i changed 1 fan on top left & it was blowing air in again.

Now as mentioned before I have two fans on the left of my case. One is at the top which is right in front of the processor and other is at the bottom which is near my graphics card. The graphics card fan flows air downwards which i think the fan below suck it out. The fan on top (left) blows air inside which is more or less in front of processor fan. And there is a fan on the rear which blows air out.

With all this i am doubtful if i can do much to change the temp by a margin if i dont buy anything new (like heatsink or other cooling) or so.

The heatsink seems to be properly installed and the compenents seems to be okay.

What to do you guys think ?

·
Super Moderator
46,561 Posts
You have not answered what service pack you are running. It will make a very big difference in partial load temps ie idle, e-mail, etc. It is very normal to see that chip in the low to mid 30s with the proper software installed [under light to moderate load]
Note some board mfg have a separate download for the EIST and some do not. SP2 has native support for this technology.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crjdriver said:
You have not answered what service pack you are running. It will make a very big difference in partial load temps ie idle, e-mail, etc. It is very normal to see that chip in the low to mid 30s with the proper software installed [under light to moderate load]
Note some board mfg have a separate download for the EIST and some do not. SP2 has native support for this technology.
I am running Windows XP SP2. I had all latest updates from windows update website. I have also updated video display & sound drivers.

Today i attached a funnel type thing and that has helped to bring down the temp a bit. Now my pc idles at around 53 - 55 C rather than 60 C. I guess to get even better temp i might have to invent in third party heat sink. Any recommendations. I dunno if i can find zalman in my area.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I am assuming you installed an 80mm airguide? Did you leave the fan in place and are running the airguide as active cooling or did you remove the fan and are using the airguide as passive cooling?

If you are using the airguide as a passive cooler, try putting a fan blowing into the case between the airguide flange and the side of the case and see if that helps in lowering the CPU temp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using an airguide. I have put the fan in place so the fan blows in cool air and the air travels thru the air guide into heatsink. This has helped a bit. Thus at idle the temp is around 52-54 C.

Hey is there a program so that i can increase the fan speed on my own or i should do it. At 55C my fan runs at 1280 RPM. Is it okay or ??

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
A couple of questions. Are the temps you are observing coming from the Intel Desktop Utility? What version BIOS are you running?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.