Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmica cdrom: no access

10K views 85 replies 8 participants last post by  CarlosF 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am working on an old laptop. It's a Dell Latitude XPi. The external cdrom (connected via pcmica slot) is a "Slim" drive model number CD224. The dell has no Operating system on it except for basic system files to get to a command prompt. We want to put Windows 98 on it but I don't know how to get the Laptop to see the drive. I have tried boot disks with CD drivers on them but they don't work since it's connected thru the PCMICA slot.

What do I do??!!

Thank you,

John

#53 ·
Coño, I think I finally found it. I found the download for the Slimline that goes with the dell .

I search in googles for = PCM CD224 "Download"

after looking at several I found

Origin Storage Inc... Speed: 24X Read. Packing List. X1 PCM-CD224. X1 PCM-CAB. X1 POW-UK. ... Other. M150065. Click Here for Detailed Specifications. Click Here to Download latest Drivers ...
www.originstorage.com/us/detail.asp?id=6154 - 20k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Took me to http://www.originstorage.com/us/detail.asp?id=6154
Went down to Other
M150065

Click Here for Detailed Specifications

Click Here to Download latest Drivers

and clicked download latest Drivers http://www.originstorage.com/temp/newcd/Contents/ProductDriversSelection.htm

Went to Slimline CDR/CRW/DVD/DVDRW which is in http://www.originstorage.com/temp/newcd/Contents/ProductDriversSelection.htm

Which took me to http://www.originstorage.com/temp/newcd/DownloadPages/DownloadSlimlineCDRs.htm
and there are the downloads for PCMCIA and USB2 the only worry that I have right now is that it is a British web side. Should it make any difference?? probrably not.

I let you know if it is another failure :eek:

#55 ·
Please help me in clarification, I am still working on that CDROM driver I have with the Latitude XPi Slim CDROM. It appears that it is a Mitsumi CD-ROM. I fund this web site with this information:
http://www.mitsumi.com/enduser/1_driverlist.html

CD-ROM Drives

Description
Below are the model numbers of all Mitsumi Drives supported by this driver.
2X ATAPI
CRMC-FX001DE
CRMC-FXN01DE
CRMC-FX002DE
3X ATAPI
CRMC-FX300

4X ATAPI
CRMC-FX400
CRMC-FX400B
CRMC-FX400B1
CRMC-FX400C
CRMC-FX400C2
CRMC-FX400C3
CRMC-FX400C4
CRMC-FX400D
CRMC-FX400D1
CRMC-FX400E
CRMC-FX400E1
CRMC-FX400G
CRMC-FX410A
CRMC-FX410A1
CRMC-FX410B3
CRMC-FX410E3
6X ATAPI
CRMC-FX600S
CRMC-FX600T
CRMC-FX600T1
8X ATAPI
CRMC-FX800S
CRMC-FX810S
CRMC-FX810T
CRMC-FX810T4
CRMC-FX820S

12X ATAPI
CRMC-FX120T

16X max ATAPI
CRMC-FX140S2
CRMC-FX162T
CRMC-FX162T4
CRMC-FX162N

24X max ATAPI
CRMC-FX240S
32X max ATAPI
CRMC-FX320S
CRMC-FX320M
CRMC-FX320M1
CRMC-FX320M2
CRMC-FX322M
CRMC-FX322M2
CRMC-FX3210S
CRMC-FX3400S
40X max ATAPI
CRMC-FX4010M

48X max ATAPI
CRMC-FX4820T
CRMC-FX4821T

Slim 20X max ATAPI
CRMC-SR200S
CRMC-SR201S

Slim 24X max ATAPI
CRMC-SR240S
CRMC-SR240S1
CRMC-SR242S
CRMC-SR242S1

The problem is that this site's drivers are not working, so I need to find one.

#58 ·
The laptop is a Del Latitude Xpi, the CDROM driver is a Slim
Which is the first http://www.originstorage.com/us/detail.asp?id=6154 which are this drivers. The problem is that once I have the driver and the Config.and autoexec. files loaded in the hard drive, I get this message.

"PCMICIA/IDE CDROM Device Driver Ver. 2.00 23:48:14 04/14/97
Copy Ritght (c) Quick Serv 1996-97. All rights reserved
*** CArd Service Clinet not found****

I get the same massage twice

at the end a prom get's me this message

C: MSCDEX /D: MSCD001

AND THEN ANOTHER TWO PROM

C:
C:

In the mean time I have been rereading about config.sys and autoexec.bat as I think my problem lies there.

I don think that the mistsumi is releavent (I think), I just had forgotten, and looking thru the net I found the mitsumi cdrom with similar characterisitics Slim 240 + etc.

The Oak tech driver do seems to give me the same problem. That is why I like to go with the original. Slim

#59 ·
"PCMICIA/IDE CDROM Device Driver Ver. 2.00 23:48:14 04/14/97
Copy Ritght (c) Quick Serv 1996-97. All rights reserved
*** CArd Service Clinet not found****
Hmmm...looks like you don't have the right drivers, or software for the PCMCIA card...

As a test, can you type in d: at the c: prompt and access the CD-ROM drive ?

#60 ·
:) Hello guys/gals,

I think that the biggest problem is that you need the correct cardbus controller driver, which has to be included in the config.sys ahead of any CDRom drivers.

It would also help to know what flavor of Latitude the laptop is. It is probably an XPi CD M166ST,133ST, or possibly 150ST.

Just some thoughts.

Take care.

Kilowatt

#61 ·
Jedi: I think it is the right driver, the picture and the connectors are exactly the same.

I remember that I did try to test by type d: at the c:prompt but I don't think it worked, I'll try again because it has been a while.

This is what my config.sys looks like after loading the driver and runing memmaker

DEVICE:C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE:C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERS=15,0
FILE=8
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVER=E
FCBS=4,0
DEVICE:C:\PICC\PICD.EXE
DEVICE:C:\PICD\PICD.ESE /D:MSCD001 /R

i FOUND IT STRANGE THAT IN THE README OF picc picd IT STATES THAT IT SHOULD INCLODE /P170,15 /P
BUT IT DID NOT INSTALLED IT IN THE CONFIG. WHEN IT SAID THAT IT WOULD DO IT AUTOMATICALLY.

#63 ·
Kilo

The Latitude XPI is a 133ST. I ran several diagnostic utilities.

In each occassion it says that the MSCDEX is not being connected (or identified).

I think it is an issue of Config.exe.
I install PICC first and PICD as it says in the README. The installantion creates the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat

But only gave this information in Config.sys.

DEVICE:C:\PICD\PICD.ESE /D:MSCD001

it does not provided any swithes as it says in the README:

I PCMCIA/IDE CD-ROM solution for DOS

I.1 Device Driver and Utility Usage

--------------------------------------------------
PICC.EXE (PCMCIA/IDE Adaptor Card Services Client)
--------------------------------------------------

This driver supports the PCMCIA 2.1+ Card/Socket services
specifications. It is mandatory to load this driver before
using the PICD.EXE device driver.

Installation Format:

DEVICE=[drive:][path]PICC.EXE [/P:xxx,yy]

where [/P:xxx,yy]
specifies the I/O port base and interrupt number that
the Adaptor Card Services tries to allocate for this
card in default.

'xxx' is the base address (hexadecimal notation) of
IDE port. The permissible assignment of the base
address are as 168, 1E8 and 170.

'yy' is the interrupt number (decimal notation) of
the corresponding IDE port. The permissible interrupt
number are 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15.

Note 1: you might emulate a secondary enhanced IDE port on the
PCMCIA/IDE adaptor card as shown below:

DEVICE=PICC.EXE /P:170,15

Note 2: this client driver will search for IO ranges from the
default base address (if specified) and then 168, 1E8
to 170 and search for IRQ from the default interrupt
number (if specified) and then 10, 11, 15, 9 to 12.

------------------------------------------
PICD.EXE (PCMCIA/IDE CD-ROM Device Driver)
------------------------------------------

This device driver requires that the PICC.EXE client driver to
be installed before using the PICD.EXE driver. And this CD-ROM
device driver will search for CD-ROM drives for Enhanced IDE
ports (namely 1f0,14 and 170,15) and then the IO ranges/IRQ
that PICC.EXE allocates.

Installation Format:

DEVICE=[drive:][path]PICD.EXE /D:<drive name> [/R]

where /D:<drive name>
specifies the drive name for MSCDEX.EXE to match,
and the default name is _PICD_$$.

[/R]
reserves one drive letter for plug and play purpose,
if this parameter is used then the CD-ROM drive need
not exist to be initialized when system boots up.
However, be sure that the PCMCIA/IDE adaptor card
is inserted properly to allow Socket/Card/Client
services to recognize its existence.

Please install MSCDEX.EXE in AUTOEXEC.BAT file as shown below:

MSCDEX /D:<drive name>

The README claimed that if I used Install it would do it automatically. But I don think it did.

----------------------------------
INSTALL.EXE (Installation Program)
----------------------------------

You have to run this installation program under DOS environment;
and this program will copy the necessary files into the target
directory and automatically make changes to your system files.

Later I ran Memmaker and Config.sys changed to this:

VICE:C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE:C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERS=15,0
FILE=8
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVER=E
FCBS=4,0

DEVICE:C:\PICD\PICD.ESE /D:MSCD001
/R

I added the swith /R later as it indicated in the read me.

I also included the swith /P:170,15 as suggested in the Readme, like this

DEVICE:C:\PICC\PICD.EXE /P:170, 15

but it gave me an erro on the Config line 8.

I still have the impression that it is a Config.sys and Autoexec.bat issue. But I am looking for your ideas. I am presistent.

I attached the whole README for your information.

Attachments

#65 ·
Here I am trying again. Okay it will not download, although it says that I could download Zip file. It will not cut and paste either. So I give you a simulation: And if you would like to see the whole thing it looks like this:

NT4.0
OS2
INSTALL
OEMSETUP
PICC
PICD
README

to install it I used a: install PICC and after it was load it I installed a:INSTALL PICD I did not used the OEMSETUP, as it was my impression that this driver is for the OS2 IBM, later I read it when I opened it and it said that the program can not to be run in a DOS mode.

#66 ·
:) Hello Carlos. Try this and see if it will work.

1) Boot up with a Win98 bootdisk and select "start without CDRom support.

2) Reformat the drive with the /S switch (format c: /s). Reboot again when finished with the boot disk.

3) At the A:\> prompt type md c:\Win98 then press enter.

4) At the A:\> prompt type the following, pressing enter after each one.

copy himem.sys c:
copy mscdex.exe c:

5) At the A:\> prompt type the following exactly as written:

COPY CON C:\CONFIG.SYS (press enter)
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS (press enter)
DOS=HIGH (press enter)
DEVICE=C:\PICC.EXE (press enter)
DEVICE=C:\PICD.EXE /D:MSCD001 (press enter)

6) Hold down the Ctrl key and press the Z key, then press enter.

7)Type the following exactly:

COPY CON C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT (press enter)
MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 (press enter)

8) Hold down the Ctrl key and press the Z key, then press enter.

9) Once you are back to the A:\> prompt, remove the Win98 bootdisk and insert the floppy disk that has the CD and CardBus drivers. (Do not reboot the computer, just swap the floppy disk)

10) Type the following at the A:\> prompt, pressing enter after each command.

copy PICC.EXE c:
copy PICD.EXE c:

11) Remove the driver floppy and reboot without the boot disk. You should boot up to a C:\> prompt.

12) Insert the Win98 CD and at the C:\> prompt type CD Win98 (press enter).

13) Type COPY D:\Win98\*.* (press enter)

Hopefully, the CDRom will work and copy the files to the hard drive. Once the files have finished copying remove the Win98 CD from the drive and type SETUP at the prompt.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

#67 ·
:eek: Carlos,

I just thought of something. I can't recall ever seeing a config.sys calling for a hardware device through an .EXE file. Could be that the INSTALL.EXE, PICC.EXE, PICD.EXE or all three extract a .sys file which are the actual drivers. When you have a chance, explore the floppy disk with the drivers on it to see if there anything like PICD.SYS hidden in there somewhere.

For example the config.sys entry for an older IBM laptop has DEVICE=C:\IBMTPCD.SYS /D:MSCD001 as the entry for the CDRom.

#68 ·
Thank you, I will check it out........ It is interesting but I have looked thru the Internet for people with the same or similar problems like I. There seem to bee a lot of problems with this system's configuration. It does not load the drivers as it should and the consensus seem to be that the configuration and autoexec. seem to requires more parameters. I have wondered whether it also requires other programs or drivers.

Good thing I am persistent.

I just thought of something :eek: there was a guy here that had the same exact computer and CDROM. I think he ended up buying a hard drive with windows 98 already downloaded. Maybe I should write him (if he left his email) and ask him what his configuration & autoexec and drivers were eventually placed in his computer and whether he has continue to use his CDROM or he has changed it.

#69 ·
I can't recall ever seeing a config.sys calling for a hardware device through an .EXE file. Could be that the INSTALL.EXE, PICC.EXE, PICD.EXE or all three extract a .sys file which are the actual drivers. When you have a chance, explore the floppy disk with the drivers on it to see if there anything like PICD.SYS hidden in there somewhere.

Well, I will experimente with the Diskette that has PICC PICD files. However, I looked through the net for information on PICC OR PICD.sys and I could not find any thing. however it is full of info on .exe. INitially I thought maybe I had committed a typo. But I'll keep looking.

#70 ·
This is the massages that I usually get:
b. *** Card Services Release 2.1 not found

The Client driver PICC.EXE needs a Card Services Release 2.1
installed in system for registration. To remedy this problem, you
might reinstall or reconfigure your system for your PCMCIA sockets.

I do not remember what they mean by. To remedy this problem, you might reinstall or reconfigure your system for you PCMCIA sockets??? what do they mean? I assume that what you request me to do might be some way of reconfiguring. But I am sort of lose here.

#71 ·
CarlosF,

I got your email message. I never did get the slimline cdrom working. I only needed it to work so I could get an OS on the hard drive. Since I bought a hard drive with an OS already on it, it eliminated the need for the cdrom.

Sorry bud! I hope you figure something out.

#72 ·
Well, John I am a persistent and I will not give up until I find it. I have figured (I am pretty sure, but not certain) that it is a Configuration and/or Autoexec.bat issue.

We apparently made the same mistake. The CDROM was working when I decided to up grade the Windows 98 to SE. And we apparently forgot to backup those drivers before reformatting the hard drive. I should have tried to "Unformat", but for me it has been a long time since I took the computer technology course. And this kind of stuff I like to do it myself to learn. Some how I assumed (and I should have known better) that the CDROM was going to operate. Not realizing that they came separately. It should be a learning experience for both of us.

This Dell Slim CDROM configuration have apparently been sold as a pair before. I do not think it was you and me alone. So there most be some other people out there with the this to equipments together. If I find out and get it working I will let you know. I am sure you wouldn't mind getting the SLIM working with your laptop.

There is apparently other CDROMs named SLIMLINE, one made by Mitusi <or something like that).

I am confused, because the Documents that come with the driver states that the switch and parameters /P:170, 15 for the IRQs should be included somewhere. but it does not load the Config.sys with it and when I include it, it gives me an error.

#76 ·
Hey John!!!! you are in luck. It seems that now that you have Windows 98 in your hard drive, you can download the drivers appropriately. I got a responds from Original the people who make the Slim CDRom-PCM CD224.

Hello Franco,

I believe this is a PCMCIA type connection?

If this is so, your computer will not recognize it until windows has been installed. The PCMCIA bus slot in the actual laptop requires drivers to operate as well. Until Windows is installed you will not be able to use this type of connection.

I do not believe there is a Secondary/media bay available for your PC. Your best hope is to get a docking station with CDR built in or a Parallel connection CDR.

If that is out of the question the only other thing I can think of is to remove the HDD and put it into a similar laptop with a built in CDR.

I'm sorry Franco but these products are not compatible with DOS.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Kind Regards,
Chris Jones
Technical Manager
Origin Storage Ltd

I am wondering if I can some how make a connection with another computer with a CDROM. Using a dos interface and load the Windows 98 that way.

Another way I am trying to workout in my imagination is if I can load Windows 95 with diskette, then see if I can have the CDROM operates. Then open a second partition load the Windows 98SE make sure it runs with the Windows 98 and then delete the First partition. What do you think?

Or
Do the same operations as above using one of the free Linox. Is that possible?

I know that a friend of mine had two different operating system (I think 98 and 2000) loaded in one hard drive with two different partitions.

Or am I pushing the limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.