Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
The question is, why would you want one?

At PCI bus speeds, the abilities of the Radeon 9500-9700 would be useless....PCI video cards can not perform well in modern games, there's just not enough bandwidth on the PCI bus to handle the massive amount of graphics....you're better off getting a new motherboard with an AGP slot, and a $100-$150 AGP card, it will perform much better than any PCI card would.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
No, they really can't. I've tried it before, and most games just won't work with them. Sure, there are some exceptions, but new games will not work well, at least nowhere close to the capabilities of an AGP card.

And if this person is looking to buy a Radeon 9700, I'm assuming they have a reasonable amount of money to waste...

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Originally posted by McTimson:
The question is, why would you want one?
Really !!!!! That would be like buying a Corvette, and putting a Volkswagen engine in it :D

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
But I bet the Dell was a great bargain...now you know why.

PCI graphics are a waste of money. As mentioned, get a new motherbaord with AGP and then you can a decent video card and hopefully your Dell powersupply has enough power to run it.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Hmmm, a hammer and an agp card?
Everybody is right, pci graphics stink. If you think you can tackle putting in another motherboard it would be better. The downfall will be your restores won't work anymore and you'll need a windows disk.

·
Banned
651 Posts
McTimson said:
Actually, PCI cards are generally more expensive than their AGP counterparts.
A LOT more expensive, and generally very difficult or impossible to find. A system which was made prior to the introduction of AGP will also be very slow by today's standards. Most of the more recent games would be virtually unplayable on such a system.

Kimusabi, you would be better off upgrading your system. If cost is a concern, a low-end Asus motherboard, an Athlon XP 2500+ (or thereabouts), 256 MB RAM, an ATI 9200 or Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and an upgraded power supply should be around $300. That might do the trick without breaking the bank. By comparison, a Radeon 9600 AGP card is about $175.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
cnimbus said:
A LOT more expensive, and generally very difficult or impossible to find. A system which was made prior to the introduction of AGP will also be very slow by today's standards. Most of the more recent games would be virtually unplayable on such a system.

Kimusabi, you would be better off upgrading your system. If cost is a concern, a low-end Asus motherboard, an Athlon XP 2500+ (or thereabouts), 256 MB RAM, an ATI 9200 or Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and an upgraded power supply should be around $300. That might do the trick without breaking the bank. By comparison, a Radeon 9600 AGP card is about $175.
+ windows disk. I doubt he has one since he has a Dell. My copy of Pro was almost $200.00 but I bought it off the shelf. Those Dell restore disks are not going to work once the accompanying bios disappears from the system.

·
Banned
174 Posts
He Could Run Linux! ;)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
X_Gamer7 said:
ah, you got me here. You're right. All the AGP parts must be made in china ;) lol
It's a little thing called supply and demand. The more you can sell something in mass quanities the less money you have to charge for it.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Triple6 said:
But I bet the Dell was a great bargain...now you know why.

PCI graphics are a waste of money. As mentioned, get a new motherbaord with AGP and then you can a decent video card and hopefully your Dell powersupply has enough power to run it.
Ohhhh, that's gotta hurt......it's true, but hey, it's though love.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
skivvywaver said:
+ windows disk. I doubt he has one since he has a Dell. My copy of Pro was almost $200.00 but I bought it off the shelf. Those Dell restore disks are not going to work once the accompanying bios disappears from the system.
Ouch!!!, brutal, man, let's see, the score: homebuilt 2, Dell 0, that Dell dude is takin an a** wuppin.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Yeah, and I thought I got a great deal on my disk. You might be able to beat it online though. Small computer shop was selling out and I bought it cheap. I started pulling stickers off and the bottom sticker was $399.

·
Banned
651 Posts
skivvywaver said:
Windows XP Pro can usually be had over the Internet for a substantial discount. There are quite a few surplus places that get unbundled CD's and sell them for next to nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.