Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 2 x 1GB matched DDR strips onto my Chaintech 7NJL6 mobo. Dual Channel is enabled, but the bus speed at boot is still half of the memory rating. (200 vs 400)

Chaintech 7NJL6 mainboard purchased Dec 2005.
Manual says FSB is 166, but can be overclocked
AMD Sempron 2500+ CPU @ 1.725 GHz
Windows XP Pro with SP 2
WD ATA 100 160 GB drive as boot
WD ATA 100 200 GB drive as secondary

The previous configuration used 512 MB of PC2100 DDR RAM (2 x 256 MB).
This RAM was rated at 266, but boot up showed 133.
Dual Channel was not enabled due to strips being in adjacent slots.

Now, I have 2 GB of PC3200 DDR RAM (2 x 1 GB matched set) 2.6 volt rating The label on the DDR says it can run at settings CL 3-4-4-8 or something like that.
Dual Channel enabled. DDR installed in slots 1 and 3 per the mobo manual.
RAM is rated at 400, but boot up shows 200.

While the additional RAM improved performance nicely, what is causing it to not run at the memory's max rating? I was expecting to see 400 in the POST display because of the Dual Channel set up.

Will I see enough of a performance kick to warrant the risks associated with overclocking? Will adjusting the voltage rating in BIOS help?

I don't use the system for gaming, but I do some video editing and burn DVD disks regularly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My most educated reply is that it is a limitation of your FSB. If it is only 166 then your RAM won't run at 400.As far as overclocking your system that risk is your choice to make if you don't push it too far then you should be okay, just make sure you have good cooling and good air flow through the system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.