Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to play online computer games like Battlefield 2, but have been locking up due to system instability and I need more ram.

right now, I only have (1) 512mb stick of Corsair PC2700 (DDR333) in my computer.

My motherboard also supports PC3200 (DDR400)

Should I match the ram I have now with another 512mb stick of Corsair PC2700 (DDR333) or should I switch to 1GB of PC3200 (DDR400)?

also, I have a Pentium 4 3.06 ghz with 533(fsb). Would a Pentium 4 of the same ghz, but with 800(fsb) make a huge difference for gaming?

Asus P4SDX mobo
Pentium 4 3.06 ghz, 533 (fsb)
Corsair CM64SD512-2700 512MB DDR333 PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro
Audigy 2
Maxtor diamond plus 9: 120 gig, ATA133, 7200 RPM
Sony HMD-A440 19 inch FD Trinitron
Klipsch Pro Media Ultras

not sure what the drives are :/

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
If you think that you may build or buy another machine in the foresee'able future, I would get the Faster memory and plan to carry IT forward into a new machine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my existing motherboard, the Asus P4SDX only supports up to PC3300 ddr400 though...I spent $1,700 in Oct 2002 on this system, I don't want to have to get a new one already :/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw, would not enough ram cause my video card to lock up? When I'm playing Battlefield 2 demo, it's doing great for 30 minutes or so, then the whole computer locks up and I have to hold my power button for 10 seconds to reboot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm bummed because Battlefield 2 is being shipping to me and I don't know if I'll even be able to play it without spending another $2000 on a new computer :l

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
percocet said:
I'm bummed because Battlefield 2 is being shipping to me and I don't know if I'll even be able to play it without spending another $2000 on a new computer :l
Well what are the system SPECS for the game???? That will give you an idea of whether it'll play or not.

The RAM issue may be locking up your PC, but probably NOT locking up the Video Card specifically. Is there adequate cooling on your Video Chip? That may be the culprit.

Have you tried turning down the graphics from MAX everything to something a little more reasonable? :p

Also, if you only view your upgrade path as $2000 for a new PC, you are not considering an upgade at all :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.