Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
I have my PC and Xbox 360 connected up to a 8 port hub. I then have the hub linked up to my Solwise Sar130 router.
It works fine most of the time but if, while I'm playing on Xbox live, my dad trys to play an online game (and occasionally just while the web's being browsed), I get disconnected from Xbox live. The router is still connected to the internet, it's just the Xbox's connection to live that goes down.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
this is a complete guess, but it may be that there is not enough bandwidth for xbox live and the otehr game to be played, so xbox live may time out or go over a ping limit and disconnect you. what type of connection is it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did think about that myself.
I have a 1mb DSL connection but it's pretty poor and doesn't perform as a 1mb connection. I changed providers just before Christmas but I'm still waiting for the swap over. Hopefully the new provider will be better, as I think 1mb should be enough right?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd also consider a switch instead of a hub. One issue with a hub is the XBOX is seeing all the traffic from the other machine to the router, and there's no need to add that extra overhead to the XBOX network processing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
remember your 1Mb connection is not a 1 megabyte connection, it is a 1 megabit connection. there are 8 bits in a byte so it won't be downloading anything at 1MB per second.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.