Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was formatting an external hard drive and was asked to run scandisk, which I did. During the scan a box came up to tell me there was an error on the disk and would I like to repair the sector so I clicked yes and the pc froze. I left it for a while then tried ctrl-alt-del when nothing happened. Still nothing happened so I tried pressing twice to restart and still nothing. Now when I turn on the pc nothing comes up, not even a dos promt. Tried getting in to safe mode and can't. Cd drive opens and sounds as though it's loading the disk but the screen is blank still.
What happened and what can I do now?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
power supply is ok as light comes on and fan starts. There is just a blank screen, no cursor. And even after disconnecting the external drive the same happens

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
i wonder if its booting up but the screen is faulty? do you hear the drives start to make a noise as if being accessed and booting up to the logon prompt. but the screen is dead....
I understand from other notes here that if somehardware had failed the bois should bleed -
ie 3 short bleeps = A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad.
unless the PC is dead and not even getting that far - but you say you can see lights, hear fan etc.

maybe the screen broken or the video cable comeout .....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If i put a cd in the drive it sounds as though it is being used, the light comes on and it spins. I'm gonna get the pc and try it will my monitor, will post later

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When starting with it's own monitor the pc wasn't startign fully as normally it makes a lot more noise than it was and for longer. Once I plugged it into my monitor it started with no problems at all and is working fine. Could it be that is was unable to start properly as it couldn't find a monitor as expected? Anyway I have reconnected in all and the monitor now works fine so no idea what happened as it was connected properly before. Though I did notice there is a pin missing from the monitor plug (that goes into the pc) could that cause problems?
Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
there should be a pin missing so no worries, i know someone on this forum had a website showing the pinouts and missing pin - but cant find it right now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.