Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We experience a lot of power outages in my area. Recently the PC would only boot 1 out of 3 attempts and lost date/time, but has gradually got worse and now won't boot at all. Power seems to be there, CD is scanned, disk does something, but no beep.. no boot:mad:.
Can someone help. Ps I replaced the cmos battery just in case.
Ken

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Sounds like there is a good bet your system has been damaged by the power problems in your location. Power ouages usually also means your get power surges too. BAD STUFF!!!

I suggest your best bet would be to take the machine to a professional for troubleshooting. The defect could be simple or extensive.

For future reference, I strongley recommend your get a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply). This battery powered, simple and relatively inexpensive unit totally prevents adverse affects from power outages and surges. In the event of a power outage, it shuts down your computer in a normal manner after an adjustable time delay. I use a CyberPower unit, but there are a number of different brands available. Just Google 'UPS'

Good Luck... Raybro

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have an extra power supply and you know how, you could change that out and see if it will boot then. I did this once on a PC with your symptoms and it was all good afterwards. Your mileage may vary.
Mini.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You can try swapping out your PSU but I tend to agree with raybro. Sounds more like an issue with the motherboard itself. If your not seeing bios or your screen it's probably a toss up between motherboard and or cpu.
You might try a boot disk if the system appears to bootup but nothing happens. An you might try reclearing your cmos with the jumpers on the motherboard but I would be somewhat suspect of anything happening.
Doesn't cost that much to have your motherboard tested by a tech and you should know real quick what's up. Let us know...Jazz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.