90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have a
Windows 98SE
AZ11 Motherboard with AMD 700 mhz
128 MB RAM
30 GB HD

My machine froze one day and I did a hard shutdown and never powered it up. When I came back to power it up, it will not power up at all. It is as though it has no power, but everything on the surge protector is working
I have changed the power supply and still no power
Do I need to change the CMOS battery???( I am thinking not)

I was last on Kazaa,

Can someone tell me what could be the problem???

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The motherboard controls the power-on, if the supply has been replaced, the MB/processor seem to be the next place to look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no probelms with my computer except that the video card would stall when running a game and I would have to reboot.

What would make the MB/Processor go bad???
How can I check to see which one is causing the problems???

Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
you will want to check the conections to the power on switch . then you know that it is either the board or the cpu . if possible try another cpu . if not take it to the shop . because I am allways playing around with these things I seem to have spare stuff I can try for testing .

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Originally posted by nfinit1:
Heat is not a problem....
Probably isn't now...............but........

a question, if the computer is not even starting up now, how could you ascertain that this wasn't the problem the last time it froze? :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About once a month I would do a full system check, cleaning out tmp files, scandisk, defrag, run Norton utilities, etc and the Bios has a temp status...never was high at all

Oh well, guess its back to building another PC

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Originally posted by nfinit1:
About once a month I would do a full system check, cleaning out tmp files, scandisk, defrag, run Norton utilities, etc and the Bios has a temp status...never was high at all
Not to try to beat a dead horse, but, I don't access my bios setup every time I start my computer just to check the temp......if the cpu fan would stop spinning one day......one minute or more......that's all it takes :(

You might have a look around to see if you can see any damaged spots on the cpu or motherboard.............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.