Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC starts all on it's own

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  eddie5659 
#1 ·
My friend has a pc with Win 2000 installed and told me after shutting it off for an hour or so it will turn it's self back on. Anybody have any idea why this would happen? Any help is greatly appreciated?

#2 ·
Hiya

It may be bad RAM, though thats usually when it restarts from when you are using it.

Also, is it actually shutdown or is it in standby, and is he on cable internet?

Regards

eddie

#4 ·
If the battery was going, is he losing any info, like his clock going slow? You can take it out and put it back in, or completly replace it.
It may also be a power supply problem.

Is it fully shut down, I mean? Just seems a bit strange, that's why I was asking about the cable. It may be comprimised. Is it always about an hour?

Has he installed any new hardware lately?

eddie

#8 ·
Toyman, check the BIOS setup and see if the machine is set to restart after a power failure! This is a feature on newer boards and if it set to restart, any surge in the power would restart the machine!

eddie5659- You won't be Spookie Eddie would you?

#12 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply but anyway...

Mt friend tried everything and nothing worked so he ended up putting windows ME back on. He said someone told him that windows 2000 and his mother board weren't compatible or something like that. He hasn't had the problem since putting ME on so whatever it was it had to do with 2000 causing the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

toyman

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.