Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my computer has begun rebooting for no apparent reason. This is very frustrating when I am in the middle of something. I suspect that there is something running in the background which starts the reboot when it is finished. is this the likely cause? Is there a simple way to determine which program is running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
First, start your system in 'Safe Mode' and see if it still reboots. If it does, you may have either a hardware problem or a System File problem.

If it doesn't reboot, then reboot your system normally and then start 'Windows Task Manager' (press cntrl-alt-del) and check everything that is running at the time in 'applications, processors, etc.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tincan96,

The problem is that I get no warning that the system is going to reboot, it could happen at any time. This means that I wouldn't know when to check what's running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced a similar situation with apparent random reboot (plus the restart delay due to windows not being shutdown properly) and traced the cause to a physical/hardware issue. The trouble was related to sudden and random error with main system RAM. Windows was unable to identify the nature of the issue due to the sudden nature of the triggering event.

I am assuming that the computer is a desktop and you may have had it awhile.

Over time dust gathers inside the computer and settles everywhere, as well as a little known issue known as 'tin-wiskers' (this is where microscopic tracks form inside electronic devices).

Suggested possible remedy - remove all power from the computer, take the cover off and using a small paint brush and vacume cleaner, clean away the dust. One at a time (unless you are happy knowing where it all goes) remove and reinstall the CPU, RAM modules, connectors and any cards (video, internal modem, etc.). Put cover back on reconnect power and see how it goes. Mine settled completely after doing this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.