Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever wonder where you stand with other users ? This site will check your system for it's speed, O/S and hardware , and let you know where you stand, can test anomalously, or register for free and save results, gives tips on performance and enhancements, try it !!... www.pcpitstop.com ... Rhett

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hi rhett,

Thanx for posting the link, it is a good site indeed, I think I saved my overall performance score from the last time there and just from memory I think I scored like an 86 overall.......

just out of curiosity how did you do?

DS

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hey thats a great site. Thanks for the link. I did the full tests and scored 120, I must be doing something right with this computer :D

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Rhett
Thanks for the link to PC Pitstop.
Was not sure about the intrusion into my PC at first but went ahead anyway. Found a few minor problems and fixed them.
Original score was 413 and after correction was 462.
According to them there is nothing more that can be done with this configuration except upgrading processor. Running an 866 PII now and I expect it to last awhile.
That's good to know!
Thanks again.
Dave

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wow a 462. I think I have to go back now and see what I need to do to get mine running better. And to think I thought I was doing good with 120 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Lisa
Just be careful when you do configuration settings such as vcache
and so on. If you click on the individual performance flags there are suggested changes. Before you do some that you are not familiar with you may want to post a thread for suggestions.
Dave

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thanks Dave, I'll remember that. I do recall reading something at the pitstop about the vcache. I'll definately ask first.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I scored a 249 initially and tweaked it to a 265, I think I could do better if I tweaked a few security issues, but I am not really comfortable doing that ,so, I think I will leave it for now..P3,700 MHZ,256 meg ram.. Rhett

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Rhett
Were those security issues concerning restricted sites in IE and OE, Activex/Java enable/disable so on?
I am not sure how those tweaks would help if someone is running
an up to date Firewal and VS.
What do you think.
Dave

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hey, you guys now wait just a dang minute here, Rhett see what you started?

okay I don't know where I got 86 from it is actually 203 so :p

Dave, you scored too high..........so you just don't get to play any more :p

LadyLisa, 120 to a 462 that's as good as Dave's score, that is good ......oh yeah, you can stay and play 'cause you are a girl and...... we like you ;)

.......so that brings me back to my 203 score..... :( hmmmmm

Will someone that comes up short of 200 please post now, I need to feel better about all of this :rolleyes:

DS

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
DS
:mad: My other PC came up with a 189 which I have to dig into.
It's an "e" and not built for horsepower but it should be able to achieve 200+. It has a 550 with 64MB. Time to fiddle!
Dave :D

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Howdy

Home built PIII850............390 :)

HP 466Celery....................173 :(

The Celery runs good .....just lacking horse power :D

buck

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave, now you got me thinking, went in and changed security settings and am going to retest, I think I will test my other machine as well, E Machine P2 500 mhz 64 meg, perhaps it will be a low enough score to make Dark Star feel better :D Maybe we could have a contest as to who gains the most points before and after:) gota go tinker, will be back...Rhett

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Dave,

Just throw another 64 or 128 in and you'll be there easy.
I think Rhett will help you with the expenses since he did start all of this ;)

buck52,

173 score huh? how much RAM in there? Seems like to me that a 466 Celeron should be right there at 200 or so

Just an FYI this is a 500 Celeron with only 128 RAM and there shouldn't be that big of a difference.......

DS

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
First Prob with security settings OE. Set to restricted sites zone
and could not insert Pics in body of e-mail. Error 195 undefined object!
Switched back and all is fine.
Dave

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
DS

192 RAM...The test didn't point out anything bad

• add Ram
  • check browser cache limit
  • scandisk for errors
Maybe I'll play just a little bit and see if I can get to the 200

buck

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
Not really, I got some bud's who would blow that test away.
This is a three year old machine with lot's of upgrades
It didn't like my win98 drive, said the uncached speed was too slow.

I posted the link for them, waiting to see what kind of scores they get.

I only get around 2600 3dmarks in 3dmark 2001, some of them push 7000 marks :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am up to 289, may go tweak outlook security, and I don't even use it !! But, I have to get to 300 now, am so close :( Perhaps I am my own worst enemy for getting wrapped up in this.
Don't suppose there is any way this could lead to the spending of money do you :rolleyes: ( We are starting to sound like a bunch of guys talking about gas mileage)... Rhett

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.