Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I fixed my initial problem. 1 day later I have a whole new and much worse issue to deal with. I love computers. I do.

This just started about 20 minutes ago on this PC. This is a brand new computer that I just got running yesterday. I was running a game and suddenly the monitor went blank and I heard a "click" like the hard drive had shut off. However all the fans are still on and the system does not reboot, it just sits there.

I had this exact same problem with my last PC. Both of these computers have COMPLETELY different parts from one another and even a different copy of XP. The game isn't the issue because it happens with any game I run.

I haven't checked on this one yet because enough time hasn't passed but on my last PC if I shut the computer off for an hour or so everything would run fine for a while then it would start all over. This led me to believe that it was heat but I am running SpeedFan and it says that the temp is 28'C and peaks at around 34'C. SpeedFan doesn't check the GPU temp so I GUESS it could be that but aren't graphics cards supposed to be able to take care of their own heat?

I guess it could be a video card issue but as I said this is a different video card than the last one and is brand new.

Any ideas? I looked in the XP event log and see no errors.

EDIT: I have had problems with every single computer that I've run in this apartment. Two of them had this same problem and one had a similar problem where it would freeze and then not boot up unless you turned it off and on over and over multiple times. Can this have something to do with my apartment? Is there some kind of electrical problem?

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
If every system you have used does the same thing, it does point at a power problem.
Do you use a UPS or a surge protector? The UPS will help with power surges/spikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.