Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another forum, but mabe more appropriate for this one. I have a Gateway desktop with ME, 128 mem. Whe I log on to AOL (via Belkin hard wired router into cable), I can only stay a few minutes before it kicks me off. I sometimes have to reset router to get back on. Also, now have a problem when I get into a program, the PC stops respondiong, screen goes black, and PC shuts down and restarts as if I turned it off accidently. This all started in last day or so. Help? RD

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
RD001:

Unless that computer is sharing the cable connection with other computers, why don't you connect it straight into the computer instead of going through a router first? If you're concerned about a firewall issue, you can use a third-party firewall, such as Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Since you're using Windows ME, you should consider adding at least another 128 MB of RAM to that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Follow JSntgSvr's advice and post a copy of that computer's HijackThis log here. It'll show what running processes are involved, and if any "nasties" are residing in that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.