Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if this sounds right, I did a full backup of my PC and the size of it is 38GB. I then did a complete image of my PC and the size of it is 24.5GB. Does that sound right that the backup is bigger than the image?

What do you think?

thx

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Not quite clear on how you are using the terms "backup" and "image". You appear to be using them as two separate operations. In a software program called Acronis True Image (ATI), the term "backup image" is used to describe creation of a compressed, non-functional image of a drive or partition. This image can be used a couple of different ways, but it's primary purpose is to restore the entire boot drive (generally C:\) to the same configuration it was in when the backup image was created. Using the default settings in ATI, the backup image is compressed and will be around 60% the size of the original drive or partition.

So if your "backup" was, in fact, a clone of your C:\ drive, it would be a fully functional copy and the same size as the original installation. Then the "image" you created would be a non-functional image of the drive and smaller because of normal compression.

What program(s) did you use?

Raybro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.