Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm, well Ive set up the PC correctly (I think), and Ive plugged it into the mains, and switched it on. The fan works, the lights flash, the CD Drive can open, but nothing appears on the monitor?

I will give a list of my components if you need them.......thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Check if the jumper that clear the CMOS is set to "CLEAR" , usually u find it near the coin battery, if so, place it in the NORMAL position

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Lots of possibilities at this point if this is a new build. System specs will help.

1. Recheck all power connections, including any extra power plug to the CPU if required.

2. Make sure all jumpers are set correctly for FSB. (check motherboard manual)

3. Take out and reseat the video card (if there is one) and check the cable connections to the Video adapter.

4. Reseat the RAM and check the position of the CPU, heat sink and fan.

5. If still nothing disconnect everything except, cpu/heatsink/fan, video card and monitor, one stick of RAM.

6. If still nothing, repeat #5 with the motherboard out of the case sitting on the box that it came in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can only see 1 jumper on my motherboard, and thats for "PS2_USB_PWR1" which i dont think has anything to do with this yet.....

Here are my specs.....

ASRock GE Pro-HT motherboard, Pentium 4 Processor (socket 478), Sygate 160gb hard drive, 256 DDR RAM, and Ive got a floppy and CD drve attached......there is an on-board grpahics apparently, so im not using a video card...Ive plugged the monitor directly into the motherboard....

thanks for helping so far

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Ive checked my CPU is working (by running it without the fan) and Ive swapped around the slot I use for my memory card.....and IVe discovered an additional 2 jumpers labelled JL1 and JR1. I removed the pins from them and tried again.......still nothing......

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Don't randomly remove jumpers. Check the manual as to what they do, remove them blindly may cause greater problems.

You may wich to remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on an antistatic surface. Then connect only the powersupply, one stick of RAM, CPU with heatsink , and the power switch. Also connect the monitor. Do not connect any drives or PCI cards or even a keyboard or mouse. Try turning it on. If it still doesn't work you need to double check all the jumpers, make sure the CPU fan is connected into the correct CPU FAN header and that all your parts are compatible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have the manual.......I took it out of the case, connected only the cpu and fan, memory stick and monitor, and the same thing happened, fan began to whirr, but nothing on the monitor - so i presume my jumpers are wrong.....

So do you suggest I clear the CMOS memory thing by using a bit of metal like a paper clip, and then try again?

I presume if it doesnt work then, something is wrong with my jumpers....

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
With your motherboard there are no jumpers for the CMOS only two solder points. You need to use something like a screw driver or paper clip to short the two pins together as they suggest.

What Pentium 4 CPU are you using? Mainly what is the FSB BUS speed? And what is the RAM speed?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive had to return my monitor to the other PC for the time being, but tomorow I can try again....

The clear CMOS thing is only 2 pins, and I shorted it with a screwdriver in the end...

THe CPU is INTEL PENTIUM 4 P4 1.8Ghz FSB400 256kb Socket 478,
and Im using a 256 stick of DDR-RAM

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just found out that the Pentium 4 I bought was untested and came with no warantee. I guess this is the problem then......anyone have a spare P4?!? lol

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
You'll need to get spare parts to test - powersupply, RAM, CPU, motherboard. Powersupply and RAM hould be easy enough to borrow. Makre sure that if the motherboard requires more then one power plug that they are all plugged in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah but to test the CPU its gonna be hard to find a motherboard tahts P4 compatible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.