Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me....

I have a really annoying problem with my PC - I'm using XP Pro SP2 with all up to date drivers and a Netgear WG311v3 PCI card to connect to my wifi router.

The problem only started recently after I changed the mobo and processor from an old Soyo and Athlon XP2000 combo to an Asustek M2V AM2 VIAK8T890 and an Athlon64 3500. I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP.

I've been using the Windows Zero Configuration Utility to manage my wifi connection. What happens is that the PC freezes anywhere between 30 mins and 1 day after starting up. No warning messages, no BSODs, it just hangs and becomes totally unresponsive, forcing a reset.

I tried using the Netgear connection manager instead of Windows ZCU and so far its been running a full 4 days without a reboot.

I could just go on using the Netgear program but I'd quite like to get to the bottom of why the Windows ZCU now crashes the PC after the mobo and processor upgrade. As mentioned, all possible software is up to date.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Welcome, Dan356.

I can think of no reason, except maybe a driver problem, for Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) to fail, much less freeze up. If you haven't already checked, see if Netgear has a more recent driver than the one you're using.

IMO the Netgear utility is better than WZC, so I would use it even if the current problem gets solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.