Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm networked to my laptop and I go to view, copy or open a file on the laptop from my desktop pc, it freezes for about 20 second before opening. It only does this every 3 or 4 attempts and not every time but when It happens it will lock up and i get the egg timer as if it's waiting for something to happen.

However this ony happens one way. When I view or open files on my desktop pc from the laptop I don't get this problem. Thing is I don't know what's causing it or which machine is at fault but I suspect it's the desktop pc because I'm also getting long delays when opening Internet Explorer window and the Network Icon in the system tray is showing no activity for about 20 seconds.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Fix for slow network browsing, Stop Browsing Scheduled Tasks.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type regedit in the text box and click the OK button.

Once the Registry Editor has loaded, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
Next, expand Software and Microsoft, then Windows and expand that as well.

You will want to be editing the main system files, so expand CurrentVersion, then Explorer key.

Next, you will want to modify the remote computer settings, so expand the RemoteComputer key and then expand the NameSpace key to show all of the features that are enabled when you browse to a remote computer.

In the NameSpace folder you will find two entries. One is "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}," tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This will prevent the system from browsing the scheduled tasks on the remote computer which seems to take forever for some strange reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I already tried that but it made no difference. This has only just started happening and I know my PC is clean from spyware/malware as I got it checked out on here. I did have a previous infection that may have disturbed something. I'm only guessing tho.

I also found that if I disable Winzip from the context menu it's ok but why would this just affect right clicking on network files and not local files? Besides it's only just started doing this and I've had winzip running for years on this same PC.

I'm also having problems opening Iexplorer and Outlook. When I open Iexplroer it hangs for about 20 seconds before opening up, even when I select blank as my homepage. Outlook also hangs for about 20 seconds too when I first open it up when it looks for emails. It's almost like the network can't find something or it's waiting for something to happen. After it's loaded I get no more problems until the next time I reboot my PC then it happens all over again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.