Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help please.
My daughters PC wont boot, the screen displays the following.
OXOOOOOO24 (OXOO19023 OXO81D3CC60 OXCOOOO122, OXOOOOOOOO
windows tech info. i have tried to boot the PC in safe mode, but with no luck.
I have tried to boot this several times, many thanks. Amy.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Where exactly in the procedure, while booting from the cd, does the error appear?

Make sure to unplug anything you don't need before attempting to boot up (like USB keys, external HDDs, printers, modem...). You could also try resetting BIOS to factory settings.

Have you tried booting to "last known good configuration". That will sometimes work even if safe mode has failed. (also, have you tried safe mode with command prompt?).

Is this the computer from your signature (Dell Dimension 3100) we're talking about? It would also be good to know what your priorities are - recovering files (and if possibly, the system) or getting it working as fast as possible.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well, if you can't boot to windows and you can't boot from the windows cd*, you will probably have to reinstall windows. The only question is, do you have to recover any files? Have you tried resetting BIOS to factory settings?

*are you sure you selected "cd-rom" from the boot menu (F12)? It should have at least started copying the necessary files, if nothing else.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Just after turning your computer on, keep pressing Del (well, it's usually delete, but could also be Esc, F1...) until you enter BIOS setup. Once there, you'll have to look for an option to reset it to factory settings.

It's doubtful that this will help though, you'll most likely have to reinstall windows. I don't mind helping you, but please try to answer my questions, as I cannot help unless I know all the circumstances. :)

So, I'll ask them all again:

Is this the Dell 3100 computer?
Do you have files on the PC you need to or would like to back-up? Or do you just want to format/reinstall and try and get it running again?
When booting from the cd, did you select the appropriate option in the boot menu?
Did you unplug any unnecessary devices (printers, modem, memory sticks...)?

And add another one:

Do you know what might have caused this? (Did you change any part of the computers hardware just prior to this or install anything new? Was the computer shut down properly?...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
The PC is a Dell Dimensions 3100, I have tried to boot from the boot menu, the XP disc runs for a while it goes through checking all the files. Then stops, for a few minutes then you have the option to install XP, then nothing happens.
I have tried F1, Del also nothing happens. i have no idea why this has happened, as thye PC was shut down correctly There is really nothing on there that, i need to save. many thanks for trying to help me, regards Amy.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well, then you can boot from the cd! That's exactly why I asked you. :rolleyes:

Now we have a lot more options:

Boot from the cd again, select "R" to enter the recovery console. Once there, type in:

chkdsk /r
and press ENTER (be carefull while typing, there is only one space in the command, between "chkdsk" and "/r").

Check disk can take a while (many hours) to finish if there is damage to repair. It's important that you do not interrupt it (like restarting your PC...), that could be a big no-no. :D

If that doesn't help, boot from the cd again and try these:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.