Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my current details.

I have a dell dimension 4600

I am using the intel 82865G graphics controller as my current display.
I am looking to be able to show my computer display on my TV and was wondering if it was possible with my current hardware. My TV only has componant ports in the back and does not support HDMI or a PC port. I am looking to buy what ever I made need at my local Wal*Mart or Best Buy. I hope that I have made sense and that someone can help me. Thanks in advance. PC details below.

PC Wizard 2009 Version 1.88
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: None
User: Owner
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
Report Date: Saturday 08 August 2009 at 10:27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0F4491

> Chipset : Intel i865PE

> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2800 MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

> Hard Disk : IC35L120AVV207-0 (124 GB)

> Hard Disk : Maxtor (80 GB)

> Hard Disk : Maxtor (320 GB)

> Hard Disk : Seagate (160 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : DVD-ROM

> DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 1040r

> DVD-Rom Drive : KFWX 63416B0H2F85 SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E172FP - 17 inches

> Network Card : Accton Technology Corp EN-5251 Based Fast Ethernet Adapter

> Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

***** End of report *****

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
The only thing we really need to know is what external video ports you have on the machine. Do you have a VGA-out port?

If not, there are USB devices that will transmit a signal. I just bought one.

This one (though I paid about half that price):

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Wireless-USB-VGA-GUW2015VKIT/dp/B001FSMB0S

But with that one, you need a VGA connector on the TV side or a VGA-to-Component Video adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing we really need to know is what external video ports you have on the machine. Do you have a VGA-out port?

If not, there are USB devices that will transmit a signal. I just bought one.

This one (though I paid about half that price):

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Wireless-USB-VGA-GUW2015VKIT/dp/B001FSMB0S

But with that one, you need a VGA connector on the TV side or a VGA-to-Component Video adapter.
Do any of these support audio I got this one today http://www.grandtec.com/products/video/xppro.html It does not seem to support audio so I still have to use my PC speakers to hear anything.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If your tv has audio in and a vga input you can get sound from your pc aswell as audio into your tv. But, in doing this you will most likely loose the sound through your computer speakers.

If you take my setup which has a 42" lcd 1080p tv linked to my computer via a spare dvi port and connects to the tv via a HDMI lead - i still have to use my computer speakers for audio - but this isn't a problem as i have the speakers either side of the tv and they are very good quality ones.

The easiest way to get video/sound to a tv is via a graphics card with onboard audio which has a hdmi socket and then connect to a hdmi capable tv.

So if you are thinking of buying additional hardware now - i would strongly sudgest that you purchase a card which allows for connect to your existing tv PLUS gives you greater flexibilty when you upgrade you TV at a later date i.e Full HD 1080p type etc.

Let us know what your budget is if you are going down this route.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My unit I showed you only shows the video side - audio would need to be sent via a secondary source.

Other than the computer, tell us the Television you are using (model, type) so that we can know exactly what patch system you have. Meanwhile...

This unit is a TV card, which would allow you to feed directly to the television through the normal cable input, PLUS allow you to record video on your hard drive, turning your computer into a super TiVO - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3584093&CatId=1427 .

A-N

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.