Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a hp pavilion (t775.uk) that came with 1gb of Dimm memory. The motherboard has four memory slots, two of these slots have two 512mb memory modules in them. The pavilion is capable of taking up to 4gb of memory.

I purchased single 1gb memory module and tried to plug that into the 3rd memory slot, closest to the two installed memory modules (as per the manual). When I booted the pc it got past the login screen, started loading then crashed..

After a lot of playing around it seems the module I just purchased works fine on its own (in the first slot). I then added one of the 512mb module to the second slot, and system remained stable no problem. So the system is stable and working with 1.5gbs of memory (the new 1gb in the first slot and one of the original 512mb modules in the second).

Whatever way I configure the memory, as soon as I put a module in the 3rd or 4th slot the pc crashes after the windows login process.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
It would be wiser to test the memory rather then booting Windows as you can seriously corrupt your Windows installation. I'd recommend using Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/

The new stick may not be compatible, did you check on any Memory manufacturer's site's to see if they recommend it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is strange, you do want the largest memory stick in the first slot and then work your way down. Since you've tested all the sticks in the 1st and 2nd slot and they all work that does eliminate memory problems. It might be your motherboard memory slot is possibly dodgy. Try triple6's memory test just to make sure and if that comes back all ok, then it might be a case of only 2 memory sticks or getting a new motherboard!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the messages, I have been playing around a bit more an it looks like it is the slots on the motherboard rather than the memory...:(

Oh well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.