Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed a secondary hardrive on to my comp as a slave. I want to try and place a password on the entire drive which I plan on using only for data. I have XP installed on my comp, and can not figure out how this can be done. Any suggestions? ( this is a plan to thwart possible spyware from getting to my data)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you use Windows XP pro , encrypt the whole drive. Keep in mind that if something goes awry and you loose the encryption key , data is pretty much non-recoverable...
HTH

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Hopefully, the drive is formatted NTFS or there is no way of preventing access to anyone with a Win98 boot floppy.

A drive can't be password-protected directly in XP. Encrypting the whole drive will work, but with the mentioned dangers and it is not really necessary. Besides, decryption would be required each time you wanted to access a file on the drive.

What accounts and account types are on the machine, and what types of account would you want to exclude from access?

In short, Administrators can't be locked out of the drive, but most anyone else can. If other users don't have administrative accounts, you have an easy solution.

Another option is simply to make all the files on the drive hidden files and then restrict access to the Folder Options in Group Policy. Administrators again have access, if they know how.

There are third-party solutions. Hide Files and Folders is a program that loads a file system driver and requires a password to make the files visible. But it runs as a service and shows in Task Manager---certainly not beyond the cracking abilities of a lively 14-year-old.

Stealth Encryptor does almost what the Encrypting File System does, but with many options for types of encryption from slow to fast depending on complexity.

There are many more.

You should think about the accounts approach. Access to the entire drive can be prevented in Group Policy to anyone but Administrators. Would the others who use the computer be satisfied to be Power Users?

"Members of the Power Users group can create user accounts, but can modify and delete only those accounts they create. They can create local groups and remove users from local groups they have created. They can also remove users from the Power Users, Users, and Guests groups.

They cannot modify the Administrators or Backup Operators groups, nor can they take ownership of files, back up or restore directories, load or unload device drivers, or manage the security and auditing logs."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.