Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I figure out what the old password was so I can put a new password on the computer with Win 98SE?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi and welcome!

You should be able to bypass the login prompt with ESC or CANCEL.

It’s been a while since I have worked with 98, but you should be able to search for *.pwl files on the computer and if memory serves me correctly, you can delete the one you want to change or remove.

When you log in with a blank password the next time, it will create the new PWL file.

Like I said, it’s been a while and I am trying to confirm this still. So use that at your discretion! Too many OS’s between today and the 98 days!

Thanks!

Shane

·
Registered
893 Posts
This is what I found on the NET……

Press Cancel at the logon prompt, (logs you on as Default User), then search for
your {username}.PWL file and rename it to OLD.PWL.

Restart and log on using your normal username, enter a new password (or none at
all) and click OK. You will have to re-enter your Dial-up Networking password
and possibly a couple of others, as they will no longer be remembered.

Thanks!

Shane

·
Registered
893 Posts
Do you have e-mail set up on the computer. Keep in mind, if you delete the c:\*.pwl files, you will also delete the e-mail password for that user's log in as well. In fact you will delete everything related to that user. Just a caution.
Thanks BOB.... I couldn't remember what all was AFFECTED by doing that!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree about blindly and I that's why I said "it’s been a while and I am trying to confirm this still. So use that at your discretion!"

Also, for the BLIND... what solution is there for circumventing it without deleting it, renaming it, or hacking it? Just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't ask for a password at login, I want to password it so I have more control over my kids going on it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I'm, logging in w/o a password, but I'd like to put a password on it but it keeps asking for the old password, which I don't know, so I can't put in a new password.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.