Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've recently been handed the pleasant task of taking over a bunch of previously unmanaged computers in my office. I need to identify who is using them, for what, and if they can be reassigned, in addition to the basics, like doing security patches.

My question is, is there anyway to reset or recover a password for a win 2003 server pc without completely destroying everything on it? I've got physical access to the machine. I believe it has some infrequently used, but important, software on it. No one would ever physically log in to the machine to use it, but since the pc is entirely unlabeled, I can't be sure that it's the computer I think it is. I hooked up a monitor and took a look at the last known login -- which is likely the person who set it up - over 3 years ago. I've called him and had him provide as many passwords as possible, but still don't have the right one. I'd like to be able to log in and verify what, if anything, is on this computer that is needed. I don't anticipate their being any issues with encrypted files, and the machine is not on a domain.

Anyone have any method of recovering/resetting a password?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.