Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I happened to forget password for my account in windows vista. my acc is with admin rights, so I don't know how to restore password. Is there any way for me to restore/reset password?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hit F8 at POST, boot into Safe Mode, log on as Administrator with a blank password. From there you can chnage the password of your account, log off and back on.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Of course, if you've assigned a password to the admin account, you'll have to remember that one to login as Admin. :D

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
JohnWill said:
Of course, if you've assigned a password to the admin account, you'll have to remember that one to login as Admin. :D
And if that is not so then there is no reason to boot to safemode. (if I remember correctly)

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
This worked on earlier Beta's. I have not tried it on RTM or later Beta's but it might still be OK.
After the aurora shows up on first boot after setup, hit Shift-F10 and a command prompt will show up. If not hit ALT+TAB to select it from the pop up. Type "taskmgr" and hit Enter. In the task manager, close "msoobe.exe" (End Process). Windows will either log off or reboot. You will then login as Administrator. You can then enable the true Administrator account and also disable the requirement for passwords (Go to run, and type Control Userpasswords2, and then go into Advanced/advanced/users.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.