Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Are you talking about the WD portable drive? If so, it's just a standard drive in an enclosure, no reason to believe it won't last as long as any other drive if you don't abuse it.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have the WD 120gig 2.5" drive. I'm quite happy with it, and I'm impressed that so far it's worked with a single USB connection on any system I've connected it to. I have a couple of other 40gig 2.5" USB drives, and I have to use the dual-headed USB cable to get enough power to spin those up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi,

Can't remember if I had to format the Passport drive I have, I believe not.

I have the 40 GB WD passport drive.

It proved very useful for saving nearly 30 + GB of data I was going to loose when my computer went back during an employer, but not job change. I still sit at the same desk doing the same job just different name on my payslip.

Many people thought the thing in my shirt pocket was some different form of IPOD, I didn't of course tell them. The double USB lead was locked away in my briedcase.

I'd have like to have used one of several larger USB hard drives I have, which would have been noticed but could not afford professionally to loose many years and GB of data

Most people though the passport drive was just an IPOD being charged. I didn't of course tell them.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like the black one i bought today will not work with win98se, i've checked for a driver on their website but they only list one for their silver driver.

anyone know if there is a way to get a driver for mine to work?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
There is no driver for the drive. The problem is the poor USB support for Windows 98SE. That's what you are trying to fix.

By the way, the WD drives are USB 2.0 (although they will work poorly on USB 1.1). They will not work on USB 1.0.

Courtney sends....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so how do i get good support for the usb?

i'm assuming that it's the hard drive after all, the package only mentions 2000/xp.

funny though, WD website have a 98se driver for their silver version of this model, i have downloaded it but of course it didn't work just like they said.

anyone know how to fix this problem or do i have to buy a different drive that will work with 98se? trouble is i can't seem to find a passport type one for sale that states it's compatible with 98se.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You could try it, I've never tried that "update" package, and I don't run W98 anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.