Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother had someone clean up his computer because his kids got it so infected with viruses. He's given the computer to me now and I have a question about the hard drives. It's a 160 Gig HD, but when I checked drive C to see how much memory was left, it only showed 7 Gig. I then looked at drive D and it had 138 Gig available.

My question is whether computers come partitioned like this or if it is more likely that the drives were re-formatted and the files from C were copied and moved to D. I've had my share of computers through the years and NEVER did I have to install programs to the D drive to use on the C drive.

I'm just wondering if this is normal and if others here have to install their programs on the D drive to use on C.....or if it is more likely that the drives have been re-formatted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Pep

BTW, it's a Sony computer.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I have seen this a few times on new HP pc's and really have been surprised by it. I also think I have seen it on others. You can merge the two partitions and then repartition with 3rd party software like Norton Partion Magic or Acronis Disk Director.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I install Windows and applications on the C: drive, then use the remainder of the drive for data and work partitions. I find that 30-40gigs usually works for the boot partition, unless you have a bunch of really large applications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.