Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have some problems understanding my partition setup. When I look in the disk management, it says this:
Code:
Disk 0:
(__________)          11,72 GB (Primary partition)
VistaOS        (C:)    232,88 GB (Systen, Boot, Active....)
DATA           (D:)    221,16 GB (Logical disk)

Disk 1:
(__________)            1,37 GB (Primary partition)
VistaOS and DATA looks allright, but the first "unnamed" partition and the last one, I don't have any idea, what is?
It is around 13 GB of partition space, that I don't know where or what is?

Do anybody have any idea what this means?

I have an ASUS N51V laptop and it was preinstalled with vista like this.

Thank
Anders Hovgaard

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Recovery partition with an image of your hard drive when you bought the machine. It's insread of a DVD.

I hate recovery partitions since they are useless when the hard drive dies, so with the laptop I just got, I made an image of the Vista partition on an external drive, deleted all the partitions on the main drive, and restored the Vista partition. Now I have more space and the image on an external if I need to restore to a new hard drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did get a recovery dvd, with the laptop, so why would i need a 11,72 GB partition for it.
But if the first, unnamed 11,72 GB partition, is the recovery partition, then what is the partition on disk 1? It look weird that I should have a 2 GB disk, that I didn't knew anything about.?
Is there anyway to find out, what they contain? Is there a good partition program?

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Device Manager or its Properties may tell something about it. Check under the Hardware tab.

I saw one of these "phantom drives" recently on an IBM Netvista, but it wasn't my machine so I never got the chance to check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out that it probably is the asus express gate, which is like a very small linux based system, with just a music player, browser, picture..etc.
It pretty smart but I doesn't really seems like it is possible to change anything in the system.

Before I had this asus pc, I had a HP laptop, but it wasn't that great with linux and drivers and all that. But when my new asus have a linux based system preinstalled, it must mean that a whole linux system would run without problems on it, right?

But do you think it would be possible to change anything in the express gate system? or is there another linux syste, which is made for the same thing?

I just thought that it would be nice to also be able to choose your own theme, browser and so on..?:)

Thanks, anyhow.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
I don't think you want to touch that.

But you probably install Ubuntu on the laptop, you could probably find drivers for it and Ubuntu is quite popular these days with people switching over to Linux.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.