Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Not off-hand, but it's a pretty simple application. What are you trying to do with it? The program comes with a 170 page manual, surely the information you need is in there somewhere. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how to setup my partitons. I want to make one of them 40g and the other 80g not certain if both need to be primary or logical or what. Or if you think I need more than 2 partitions please let me know

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
hi,....go to Start/Programs/Powerquest/quickstart pdf...your partitiom magic info is in that section....Its quite an easy process. Even without the manual, open up PM8 and select pick a task on left side, from there it'll be a walkthrough step by step. Also in the toolbar you can open up the help section. However PM8'll be automatcally setting up a logical partition 'out of' that current Primary partition you have. Personally I put my XP system on a 12 GB partition.... The rest of the drive I split up as I like. So you might want to create those two [40/80GB] partitions, alongside XP in its own partition.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Drumstik,

Yes you can to that. Once concern I had about PM is that you were asking pretty basic questions that might lead you to creating partitions that wouldn't be what you wanted.

Typically you want only create one Active Primary Partition. Then you create an Extended Partition and assign drive letters to it.

Take a look at the website listed earlier for some examples. If all you want to do is create two partitions, it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I asked about pm, my computer at home crashed so I am going to reformat it. I have a 120g hd, with 1g of memory. A friend of mine suggested that I set partitions this way.

20g - windows only
5g - swap file
remainder - Files and applications
I thought well if do it this way I wanted an easy way to create the partitions. But I'm not certain if I need all of these partitions. I do have an old 20g hd that I am thinking about installing for backup purposes only. What do you think? I did go to the site you mentioned and it seems pretty easy to setup the partitions with fdisk. I didn't think though that I could create them as ntfs with fdisk.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Generally I use about 10-20 gigs just for the OS and what it needs to run. The rest is for data and programs. There are several benefits. The main one is you can image that partition. Should the OS fail to boot, you can simply reinstall it. This should only take about 3-5 minutes in case of a crash and is the fastest way I know of to get things like this running again. I leave programs as well data for the rest so you don't have to try and guess about how much to leave for programs on the first partition. Then you can backup all this to a second hard drive.

As far as NTFS or FAT32, I haven't have any problems with either one regarding either stability or performance. Just depends on your needs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.