Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to clone my old hdd, which has a parallel connector with a ribbon cable, to my new machine's hdd, which has a serial connector to the motherboard. Is there any way to get both of these hdd's into the same box even though they have different connection methods? Is there a converter? Is there any other way to get all of my programs from my old disk onto the new one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
yes, you need this

take your pick
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...os=ZIP/Postal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

you may have to email them, there are sata to pata AND pata to sata adapters
and they are NOT SCSI they are (S) serial ATA or (P) parallel ATA

I think you want the one that plugs into the HD to convert the pata HD to sata mainboard
So do not do what I did I just plugged in the power connector on the HD and not the adapter, the adapter has a connector too for power

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have not seen a mainboard that is all SATA, They still have PATA for the cdroms, if the CDROMS are PATA , why not disconnect one cdrom and connect up the hd ? that is if you are just copying data. SATA drives are so chep, you can get a 320 gig for $80 at newegg.com... so i would not recommend keeping your old PATA HD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.