Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this goes here, especially this being a "OS" section...anyway...

I have an old Palm IIIx. Just bought it for 5 dollars, nothing more than the PDA its self. This means it has no cradle. I have in my posession the plain cable for a m130 Palm (with which I might can hack together a makeshift docking station. I also am using a generic stylus that does NOT fit in the provided slot. I'd also LOVE a keyboard.

Another thing is sync software. I do not have the old Palm software anymore. I have one application (a collection of reference books, i think), but nothing more. Is it legal to get apps any way I can, seeing that this old thing isn't supported any more?

Also, I have a project PC that I use as a test bed for stuff. Its got a 900mhz Celeron, 128MB ram, cd/floppy drive, and USB 1.1. I also have a networking card for it. Does Windows 95 sound like a good candidate for OS? (I dont have 2000 or NT on me)

This is something I may be able to actually buy online, so any Amazon links, bring em.

·
Banned
6,319 Posts
Hotstnc cable.
The hotsync cable should charge the palm.
Check the new/used links below description.
There is a version of palm sync software here for your model.
Check the descriptions.
http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/33529_en.html
Looks like you need at least windows 98.
There is a second edition on this page for $20.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002JV62/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1251612414&sr=1-1
There are a lot of free apps available for palm.
Just have to do a web search for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lost my chance. I have no ability to buy online ATM.

Can anyone with a Palm III series dock open it up and tell me the pin connections and the serial wire colors? I have one for a slightly newer model, but I dont want to waste my only serial cable.
Verfy that this data, if possible:
(from left to right on the dock)
1 to RS-232 6
3 to RS-232 3
4 to RS-232 8
5 to RS-232 2
6 to RS-232 7
10 to RS-232 5

Pin 2 goes to +3.6 power input
Pin 7 goes from hotsync
Pin 10 is ground

- - - - - - -
I did, however, get a copy of Windows 98. My project PC started to lock up, though, so i'm just going with a virtual machine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.