Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 5100 with Winxp pro sp3 1 Meg of RAM and extra 500 gig hd:
I changed (increaded) the Page File zise (Virtual Memory) on both drives and it corrupted the Registry. Now it does not even let me re-install winxp on that drive. Towards the end of the installation I get a message that it cannot copy certain files. The file names varies according to the SP version on the winxp pro cd.
Also, I lost the original OS disk from DELL.
Can I use another copy of WinXP pro and the Key Code from DELL for the re-installation of XP???
Thanks.
Julio

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Can I use another copy of WinXP pro and the Key Code from DELL for the re-installation of XP
yes but it would have to be an OEM copy of XP pro. One possible problem, if you use a CD from HP or other OEM manufacturer, it may not ask for the key when installing, this will cause an activation issue after installation.

It would be best to borrow a Dell XP pro disc if you can find one, then it will not ask for a key during installation and will activate properly.

The key on the label will work to get it installed, but may not activate, you may have to call Microsoft to get it activated. The reason is the key printed on the sticker is different than the key installed when using a Dell or other OEM CD.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.