Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some program was causing my computer to lock up... but apparently it's overheating. The last time I got the error, it wouldnt turn back on for about 5 minutes. I have an Athlon 1.4 GHz in a custom mid-ATX case. It doesnt have any vents on the front side, but it has vents on the sides. There is a fan (3.5") right below the power supply. There's a huge heat sink and fan on top of the chip. And I added a horizontal fan right below the chip in one of the pci slots. The problem only started a few days ago and recently theres been warmer weather and they cut off the a/c (dorm). Anyway, it only locks up when I run my CD-RW. I was thinking of getting a fan for the one open 5.25" drive bay. Is that enough, or is there some really good fan/cooling system I can get that will keep my chip from overheating?

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
What makes you think the CPU is overheating? are you using some sort of monitoring software?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Check the power supply and see what it's rating is, if it's 250W or less get a larger one.

Assuming it is heat related:

Get some good thermal grease to go between the heat sink and the CPU and ensure there are no air bubbles in it. Also ensure that the fan on the power supply is ventin air ---> OUT of the case. If you can get a fan on the front of the case blowing fresh air in it can't hurt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.