Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
divorce3 said:
These days with fast everything, I cannot see the point in overclocking, unless I'ts for
the exercise. Could somebody explain.

Best wishes to all.
I agree, There is no reason to overclock. Kids nowadays think they need to go and spend 100's of dollars on components such as a Core 2 duo E6600 and overclock it. And they have never overclocked before is the scary part.

Overclocking shortens the lifespan of the component not to mention the dangers in doing so.

I can understand overclocking old computer components you may have sitting around the house just to see how far you can go. Having a little fun ext.. But not your only computer and it being a nice one at that.

What a lot of the kids don't take into consideration is most of the websites that show overclocking performance articles get those components for free. So they have no money invested. They do it for benchmark results not gaming performance.
Weigh the risk in overclocking and what you will see as in a performance gain during game play is obvious. Definitely not worth overclocking just to get 10-20 FPS a sec.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I can see where schusterjo is coming from, and I partly agree. Overclocking is not for everyone. However, there are certain components that are more 'overclockable' than others. Some systems simply can't do it at all, while others can be tweaked endlessly. I have overclocked a few components in my time, and have noticed a great boost in some, and not so good in others. Right now, I have a 2.6ghz P4 oc'd to 3.04ghz, and it's stable as a rock. No crashing, no overheating, and way better performance in my gaming. Also, I have oc'd my 6800XT video card quite a bit, and have noticed a massive improvement in graphic performance. I got up to 450mhz on a GPU that came at 350, and the memory speeds went way up with no loss in stability or major gain in heat.

Using the right tools and doing proper research is essential though. It is easy to mess things up pretty bad if you don't know what everything does, so it's best to read up a lot before you attempt it. Simple programs like nvtweak and rivatuner (google to download either) do a great job of overclocking video cards with very little risk, and make it very easy for beginners to learn how.

Like I said, overclocking isn't for everyone, and it's also not good for every component, but it does serve a purpose. I could only afford the 6800xt at the time, but I have it performing almost as good as a 6800GT, which is a nice boost. Likewise on my P4. I couldn't afford a new mobo, processor, and ram, so I tweaked the FSB to get a big jump. Until I can save up for a new system, my overclocking has bumped up my machine well enough to play Oblivion on med-high settings, and every other game I play on high to max. I couldn't do that before, so in my opinion, the time I took to learn how to overclock was well worth it.

Take from this what you will, but at least understand why people choose to tweak their systems for better performance, rather than drop hard earned cash on new pieces for the same kind of boost. Not all of us are obscenely wealthy. Cheers! :up:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well then, you really don't need to worry about it. ;)

Gaming is probably the most intensive task the average user performs with a PC. Typical office apps like MS Word, e-mail and internet use very little resources in your PC. High-end 3D-games are usually the big performance test of a PC, and this is why overclocking have gained such popularity. Gamers like to play at the highest settings possible with their machines to try and obtain the experience that the game designers intended. If you have to play a game with all the settings on low, you won't be as immersed or impressed as you would with everything on high. Therefore, there's a big temptation to squeeze a bit more juice out of a machine to get that better experience.

However, your original post asked 'what's the point?' and the short answer is 'better performance with zero dollars spent'. Hope that clears things up. :) Cheers!

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
I overclocked my toaster. Faster toast. ;)

If you are not into OC'ing why did you ask a question about OC'ing?

I mean this. If you want to overclock, do it. If you are afraid, don't do it.

Personally, I OC everything.

It takes skills and guts to OC. If you lack one or the other. Give it up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Personally, I've moved away from overclocking towards "silence".

With todays X2's and C2D's, silence is much more rewarding.

The days of sitting beside an overclocked Palomino with a Delta stuck on
top are over.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
schusterjo said:
I lack the humor gene;)
Yep, me too. Drop the multi, jump up the FSB and voltage and see where you can get to. I run DDR 500 so I worry not about a ram divider. I just drop ther HTT to 4x and go at it.

I am at 260x10 on an X2 4400+. 2600 mhz vs 2200 mhz stock. FSB 1-1. Not a bad overclock and I can do better but I have to crank the voltage. At that point heat becomes a factor. Right now, vcore 1.4.

For air, I am doing fantastic. Idles 32, pegged 48.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
prunejuice said:
Personally, I've moved away from overclocking towards "silence".

With todays X2's and C2D's, silence is much more rewarding.

The days of sitting beside an overclocked Palomino with a Delta stuck on
top are over.
Zalman 9500. Wide open she is silent. Noise? Nope. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.