Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Doubt it, not with a compaq. They don't like people overclocking their machines. You would have to be able to adjust the front side bus setting and I doubt that your bios or motherboard will allow it.

Could be wrong but in general the big manufacturers have special bios, motherboards so you can't do that type of thing.

Being you have an intel processor you only choice is to increase the front side bus speed, the multiplier is locked internally inside the chip and cannot be changed.

There are two types of 1 gig processors, one uses a 133mhz fsb and the other a 100fsb. To overclock you would need to adjust the bus speed up in small increments and see what it would take.

But I advise against it with a compaq, don't think it would handle the extra heat that will be generated and could cause lock ups and data corruption, also sometimes a severe overclock won't allow the pc to boot up, can be tricky getting it to boot again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the advise, and i understand that it may mess up but how can i do it, and if it doesn't work, i won't blame you. and yes, there is no option to overclock it or change the cpu speed in the bios.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
If you don't have jumpers on the motherboard I am afraid your out of luck. There use to be a program to do it with software but the program is no longer available. It would only work on certain machines anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.