Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to overclock my system to improve performace a little bit on Final Fantasy XI (which I've been told is a very processor intensive game). I have a 400 mhz gigabyte K7 triton board. I have a 333mhz AMD athlon XP 2600+ processor. I had what I believe was 333mhz RAM, but a friend told me if I want to overclock the chip, I needed to buy the 400mhz RAM to match the board. so I went out and bought a 512 stick of 400mhz DDR RAM.

So, now what? how do I overclock? is it in the BIOS or is there a program I must buy? How fast (approximitely) can I make my chip and still have it run stable? Any help would be eminently appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
First off, let me point something out. Overclocking is a slow process and doesnt take 15 minutes to accomplish (of course there are some instances, but whatever).

Preperations
1) Make sure you have good cooling. Never try overclocking with stock parts. Get a nice cooling system on there, like a nice thermaltake heatsink or something along those lines.

2) Have some sort of device to measure the temperature or have an auto-shutdown feature enabled incase your system overheats.

3) Download and install Prime95 (you will need it for testing if your system is stable after the overclocking process).

4) Choose what your goal core speed is for overclocking. If you don't need to overclock to where your systems temperature is to the extreme, don't.

Now instead of me typing how to actually overclock the thing (which could take forever :D), why don't I give you a link to a page that you can print out and use to guide you through the process.
Here it is:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1050/

Well, that should pretty much cover the overclocking process. Just remember, after you're done overclocking, take a couple hours to run Prime95 to test for stability, and how hot your processor, case, etc. is getting.

-X_Gamer7

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.