Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Microsoft Outlook.

Lately, I have been getting a lot of spam and fear that my internet browser is leaving some sort of cookie or at least a trace when i surf the web. Is there any way that my email address is getting distributed to spammers when I surf the web? If so, how can I turn it off.

If it helps, I am using a university account - don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thank you

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Highly unlikely that would happen. You should run a firewall if you ever suspect a trojan is on your PC anyway

When you send an email, your address ends up on the recipient's PC.
If they ever forward it (especially to a large group) then it ends up on a large number of PC's. The number can grow exponentially.

If any one of these PC's gets infected with a trojan, all the adresses can get harvested by spammers.

If you ever post your email address on a forum or website, it is guaranteed to get harvested by robots trawling every website.

If you ever give your email adress to anyone for anything, it's at risk of being collected.

The only way to avoid it is to never use or divulge your email address, which rather defeats the purpose of having one.

Get a "disposable" Gmail or a hotmail address for such use, and be careful with your real address.

I have a "disposable" address that now gets 20+ spams a day, and that is only the ones that get past the ISP spam filter. The real number is unknown, but several times that. All that address has been used for is to register free software.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
bernacks said:
I use Microsoft Outlook.

Lately, I have been getting a lot of spam and fear that my internet browser is leaving some sort of cookie or at least a trace when i surf the web. Is there any way that my email address is getting distributed to spammers when I surf the web? If so, how can I turn it off.

If it helps, I am using a university account - don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thank you
yes, they're tracking and they give yours and everyones email addresses to who wants to purchase it. you can't.

delete cookies and do disk cleanup, unless it affects the whole network and not just your computer. check 1st with the it folks before doing disk cleanup.

welcome to the wonderful world of the internet. :cool:

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
bearone2 said:
yes, they're tracking and they give yours and everyones email addresses to who wants to purchase it. you can't delete cookies and do disk cleanup, unless it affects the whole network and not just your computer. check 1st with the it folks before doing disk cleanup.

welcome to the wonderful world of the internet. :cool:
Email addresses are NOT contained in cookies.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
i didn't say that email addresses are in cookies but meant that surfing, responding to promotions and using your email is where they'll get you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.