Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that, in backing up my Outlook pst files on an external hard disk, I have created and now erased backup files that Outlook keeps looking for. In any case, every time I launch Outlook (2000), I get an error message: the f:\outlook 26 sep 06 backup could not be found, followed by a create/open personal folders menu. I need to click OK for the first and cancel for the second for Outlook to then launch correctly. I've also got three 'extra' 'personal folders' folders in addition to my Outlook Today personal folders. Can someone please provide some guidance about cleaning up this mess, while enabling me to continue backing up my Outlook files on my external drive?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the export file function and say I want to export a pst file. But I wonder whether Outlook is not automatically creating some kind of backup or achive files as well.... I may have caused this problem myself a few months ago when I deleted Outlook and reloaded it and imported the pst files I had saved...

·
Registered
27,868 Posts
Bob Cerelli said:
That's why I just copy the specific PST file. And when setting out Outlook again, I just configure it to use a specific PST file. Much faster that all that exporting and importing.
I'm still not clear about this. Outlook 2003 gives the user three backup options for a PST file including: replace duplicates with items exported, allow duplicates to be created, or don't export duplicates. Which is the best to use for simply creating a backup of a PST folder?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you were to make copies of your pst files (contacts, inbox, folders, etc.), that means you could delete Outlook from your programs and reload it and have a virgin version right? But then, how would you bring in those back-up copies without duplicating the (empty) folders that Outlook automatically creates?

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
You would have whatever folders were in the PST file you backed up. Outlook wouldn't be creating anything new. Again, that's just a part of why it is so much easier and faster to simply copy and use the existing file as opposed to all that exporting and importing and worrying about how you want to deal with duplicates. There aren't any.

·
Registered
27,868 Posts
Thanks for the info--you answered my questions and changed the way I will copy files in Outlook

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.