Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an error message from OutLook Express that says the the message can't be sent because there's an error. It doesn't say what the error is or anything else.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Xico

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sure erase the message from the outbox and send a message to someone you usually send to. If it works then try a simple message to the failed address again. Could be an incorrect address or a typo.

·
Registered
29,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stellir!

That didn't work. Last night I tried to send a web page and I got that error message. I was tired, and I thought maybe the webpage was restricted or something. But this morning I was send a note to my kids and I got this same message.
I googled it, got to MS, and they said to check the address too. I did some checking and found under connections that I wasn't clicked on my Lan--which had been clicked before. Something changed it. MS said that it was researching the problem.

I uninstalled Outlook Express, thinking that I could reinstall it. Went to Tucows, but I'm getting the message that since I already have the latest version of Internet Explorer, I can't download OutLook Express :confused:

The message is: LeechIE.dll is not registered. Please run redsvr32.exe. LeechIE.dll

So I click okay and then I get:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.

I suppose I can do a reinstall with my 98 CD if worst comes to worst. :eek:

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
xico said:
I'm getting an error message from OutLook Express that says the the message can't be sent because there's an error. It doesn't say what the error is or anything else.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Xico
You might be able to restore 98. Try the following.

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98
Startup menu.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command and then press ENTER.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER. scanreg /restore note space between "g and /"

4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER. NOTE: A properly working registry has the word
"Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Augie,
Thanks for the info.I ran thru the motions, but I came up with 9/24/04 (24/25/26/27) so I decided to wait. I'd hate to lose almost a year of tweaks and only God knows what else. I did a restore for my son (on his XP) and when he saw what he got, ya'd think I shot his dog. If I can't find another way, Ill do the restore, but as a last resort. I can still here my son howling. :D

After I get OE working again, I wonder if there's a way to update the dates on scanreg /restore?

Thansk again, Augie!

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
xico said:
Hi Augie,
Thanks for the info.I ran thru the motions, but I came up with 9/24/04 (24/25/26/27) so I decided to wait. I'd hate to lose almost a year of tweaks and only God knows what else. I did a restore for my son (on his XP) and when he saw what he got, ya'd think I shot his dog. If I can't find another way, Ill do the restore, but as a last resort. I can still here my son howling. :D

After I get OE working again, I wonder if there's a way to update the dates on scanreg /restore?

Thansk again, Augie!
Here is a link to backup registry in windows 98 for future references.

·
Registered
353 Posts
XICO:
Some people advocate enabling scanregw in the Setup Tab that is displayed by running Start>Run>msconfig. I suppose that is wise; it causes a backup of the registry every time you start your machine, and you don't have to remember to do it.

Some people are shocked that I don't use that automatic procedure. Instead, I choose the time I want to back up my registry and do it by Start>Run>scanreg. After scanreg runs, I am presented with a message: "The Registry Has Not Been Backed Up Today. Do You Want To Back It Up Now?" ..... and of course, I select "yes."

My reasoning is that as I do lots of experimenting with my Win98 machine, I may choose to do a registry backup just before I perform some surgery on Windows. That way I know exactly where I was before the surgery, and can easily get back to square one.

By default, the system will hold up to 5 backups, found in the Windows/SysBackup directory as rb000.cab, rb001.cab, rb002.cab, rb0003.cab and rb0004.cab.

The default number (5) of backups can be changed in an .ini file, but for me 5 is adequate. If I ran scanregw automatically at each startup, at the end of the day I might have 5 backups, all today!

If you can't easily get into the habit of backing up your registry at a time of your choice, for sure you want to enable scanregw in your startup list!

And in answer to your question... no, you can't go back and change those dates of last September's backups.

Cordially,
Cronista

·
Registered
30 Posts
stellir said:
I know that you can uninstall or repair Internet Explorer through Add/remove programs. I wonder if maybe by doing that it will also repair Outlook express. Worth a try.
Hi Stellir!
This is interesting. I thought I uninstalled OE. In fact, I did. Then I downloaded IE (and company) at MS, and there was OE again, but exactly as I left it--and still unworkable. So I did another reinstallation, and this time it worked, and I emailed to a friend. I was going to come back here and post it solved. In the mean time I went to post another email, and got the same error message . . . again.

I think I'll try uninstalling Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and then try reinstalling. If that doesn't work, I'll try a complete reinstall from the Win98 CD. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
cronista said:
XICO:
Some people advocate enabling scanregw in the Setup Tab that is displayed by running Start>Run>msconfig. I suppose that is wise; it causes a backup of the registry every time you start your machine, and you don't have to remember to do it.

Some people are shocked that I don't use that automatic procedure. Instead, I choose the time I want to back up my registry and do it by Start>Run>scanreg. After scanreg runs, I am presented with a message: "The Registry Has Not Been Backed Up Today. Do You Want To Back It Up Now?" ..... and of course, I select "yes."

My reasoning is that as I do lots of experimenting with my Win98 machine, I may choose to do a registry backup just before I perform some surgery on Windows. That way I know exactly where I was before the surgery, and can easily get back to square one.

By default, the system will hold up to 5 backups, found in the Windows/SysBackup directory as rb000.cab, rb001.cab, rb002.cab, rb0003.cab and rb0004.cab.

The default number (5) of backups can be changed in an .ini file, but for me 5 is adequate. If I ran scanregw automatically at each startup, at the end of the day I might have 5 backups, all today!

If you can't easily get into the habit of backing up your registry at a time of your choice, for sure you want to enable scanregw in your startup list!

And in answer to your question... no, you can't go back and change those dates of last September's backups.

Cordially,
Cronista
Hi Cronista!

This is Xico. I'm on my son's puter, so I got the name Tumara, and for whatever reason I can't seem to log is as Xico.

Thank you very much for your nice note. It's appreciated, and the info will be put to good use--as it already has. Thank you! It's really good advice, because I too like to fool around with the internal workings of this incredible machine! Thanks again,

Xico :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Xico:
You are most welcome!
It's nice to meet someone else who percieves these mysterious machines as a pleasant challenge!
After all, if we had no interest in getting "under the hood" we would be communicating using MacIntosh etch-a-sketches!
Best Regards,
Cronista

·
Registered
29,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Cronista!

Good morning! :D Delighted to meet you.
Getting under the hood is the fun part; it's absolutely fascinating. Now with scanreg it takes a little of the anxiety out of the challenge. It opens up enormous possibilities, allowing me to touch stuff that I wouldn't have touched otherwise. :cool: :up:
(Chuckle chuckle)

I wish you well,

Xico

·
Registered
29,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stellir said:
I know that you can uninstall or repair Internet Explorer through Add/remove programs. I wonder if maybe by doing that it will also repair Outlook express. Worth a try.
I removed Outlook Express through Add/Remove, but couldn't find Internet Explorer. Then I went to MS Updates and reinstalled almost everything (but that last patch K891711 (?), came back, sent off an email, and ran scanregw and backed up a good working registry.

Sent 3 emails this morning, so, the problem is solved. Thank you and everyone for helping. I learned a good bit. Thanks,

Xico

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.