Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my parent's computer has started acting up again this morning. My mom was on the Internet and everything was fine. Then she opened Outlook Express and it disconnects the computer. The connection box then opens. When I looked in connections from the options tab, it doesn't show any of the 3 connections available.

They are running Win XP Pro. I don't know how to check the version of Outlook Express without it disconnecting me. Also, I ran Norton LiveUpdate and it's a different update box than I'm used to. Have they changed the usual update screen?

·
Registered
101 Posts
this is just a long shot, but worth a try...

extracted from this page

Disconnects occur after opening Outlook Express
This may be caused by Outlook Express attempting to get Windows to dial when a connection to the Internet is already present. Try the following to resolve the issue:

- on the Outlook Express toolbar select

tools | accounts | mail tab | properties button | connection tab

- check mark the "always connect to this account using" box

- select Local Area Network from the dropdown list.

- click apply and ok

This will cause OE to use the existing connection and not cause a disconnect by trying to dial when a connection already exists.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I go to the Connections tab it states that "Outlook Express shares your internet connection settings with Internet Explorer. Click the change button to modify these settings". So I click on "Change" and none of my connections are shown and all of the dial-up options are grayed out. So I checked the Internet connections and all 3 are listed like they should be and the correct default connection is marked, so I don't know what to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.