Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

MS Outlook 2003 blocked an attachment that is desperately needed. It's a MS Access file and we can't get at it.

Could someone offer suggestions? I know there's a way to edit the registry, but we would need BABY STEPS to get through it. We tried forwarding to another account, but the attachment will not forward. We cannot contact the sender as it's Sunday, and they are not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we're under the gun with a project here.

Thanks in advance,

Max

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quick fix = Upload the file on a free file hosting site -> Get the URL of file -> Tell the person you're sending the email to the link of the file for them to download.

what type of file is it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you will have to baby step me through your suggestion. The file is an Access Database. I am home, my colleague is at work. She cannot open the attachment. The person who sent her the file is unreachable. How can she upload a file she cannot access? I'm sorry if I'm being thick, but this is so frustrating. Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
"Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments: yourfile.mdb

The rationale is that these documents can contain viruses or other harmful code, but the fact that Outlook doesn't let you disable or at least customize this feature is just plain stupid. Here's how to do it:

1. Close Outlook.
2. Open the Registry Editor.
3. If you using Office XP/2002, expand the branches to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 10.0\ Outlook\ Security

If you using Office 2003, expand the branches to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 11.0\ Outlook\ Security
4. Create a new string value by selecting New and then String Value from the Edit menu.
5. Name the new value Level1Remove.
6. Double-click the new Level1Remove to edit it, and enter the filename extensions you'd like to stop Outlook from blocking. Extensions should be typed in lower case, without the dots (.), and separated by semicolons (;). For example, type

exe;mdb;vbs

to allow .exe, .mdb, and .vbs attachments, respectfully.
7. Click Ok and then close the Registry Editor when you're done.
8. The next time you restart Outlook, you'll now be able to open previously-blocked attachments. (If an attachment is still blocked, you likely got the filename extension wrong.) "

Use at your own risk

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
That is correct. Since the Outlook Security Update available with Outlook98, Outlook has blocked MDB files in addition to other file type extensions that and run on their one (e.g. .bat. .vbs, ,.scr, .exe, .com)

An easy solution is to just have the person either rename the extension or zip the file.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Nothing like the last minute stuff.

There are several programs out there that will let you modify the registry to allow certain attachments through. Haven't used any for Outlook2003 specifically so don't want to make any recommendations. Start searching and I'm sure you'll find them.

Edit..... did some quick searching

http://dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/dbalzer/archive/2005/05/18/81037.aspx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.