Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well i had my system all sorted out at around $1600...http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4973167, anyway i got alot less then i was expecting on my tax return, so turns out i can only spend around 1200-1300. I need to find whats is the best alternitive for what i have chosen already. I would like to still have 2Gig mem and and intel board if possible, If anyone has built a core 2 duo system with this limited funds please tell. Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestions to save you a few bucks right away.

If you can forego SLI, the ASUS P5B is an excellent motherboard. The P5B deluxe is $180.00, and if you don't need built in WiFi and Dual Lan, look at the standard P5B, which is only $130.00.

The processor. The E6600 is the perfect CPU right now. However, I have two machines that have the E6300, which is only $ 190.00, and they are performance monsters. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the E6300.

I'd stick with the RAM you've got, although if you aren't overclocking, you can save a few bucks and get DDR2 667.

Any of this with an 8800GTX is still going to rip games to pieces. You'll be outfitted for DX10 already, and there is nothing bad about these selections.

If you need links, let me know...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well i was going with the 975x just because its a nice board, i could care less about sli, im also not concerned with overclocking, thats another reason why i went with intel, i also decided to go with a xfx 7900GS ddr3 pci-E saves quit abit and i can also upgrade later, i was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121053 but it says some mumbo jumbo about only being able to use 1.8voltage memory at 555 or 666 speed, and i cant find any at that rate....

·
Registered
11,670 Posts

·
Registered
22,466 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See with that asus board and this intel board there is alot of talk about not haveing very good sort of compatible memory, iw ould like to stay with the xms 800 but it runs a higher voltage then it says it can use

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
It looks like everything should work. The only thing I would suggest is to get this board, rather than the one you chose;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121052

It's the same board, but a retail version not OEM and the price is only $2 more than OEM. If you had a board failure at some future time, it is much easier to RMA a retail board to Intel than an OEM board.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The 965 is an excellent board--excellent chipset.

The RAM issue is that DDR2 800 has to be certain timings. Right now, 5-5-5-12 timings seem to work the best. I'd suggest going to Intel's website and look at the tested memory list just to be safe. Follow the link on Newegg's site.

You got yourself a NICE machine there! You'll be happy with it.

Now you had said earlier that you had an optical drive...? Is that right?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Rich-M said:
Funny I always get from Newegg next day and the freight is 1/3 of what Tiger Direct charges too.
thats because NE is right next door to you in NJ, i know youre not getting stuff the next day if its something shipped from CA warehouse:D
it takes 3 solid work days to me because it goes from NJ passed my house on rt 90 to Buffalo, then back to Rochester, hate that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
as was said get a 6300, if youre not using SLI dont pay for SLI, your gfx will "rip" through anything out there, and yes a 6300 is still better than any P4

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Even though Monarch Computer is (was) in Georgia, my CPU cooler shipped from a warehouse 50 miles away in California. Of course I would not ever buy from them again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.