Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
How would be the best way to organize data on the C: and D: drives.

I think that it's best to put things like, photos, music etc, on the D: drive, but would it be smart to also put programs on the D: drive.

If so, would the best idea be, to leave the operating system by itself on the C: drive and put everything else on the D: drive, or would it just be best to only put bigger programs on the D: drive (like adobe cs4, office etc.)

-----------------------
Does it make a difference, if the C: and D: drive is two partitions on one disk or two seperate disks?

Thanks
Anders Hovgaard

Sorry about my English, I am from Denmark.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
One can certainly install programs on a drive other than the C:\ drive, but to what purpose? The registry is located on the C:\ drive with the OS. Regardless of where you install any given program, the program will not work without the registry. For that simple reason, my opinion is they are best installed on the same drive or partition. Of course, there are some small programs, like some utilities, that do not even have registry entries, but their size, in itself, makes it a moot point as to where they are installed. With any modern computer, I seriously doubt you will see any adverse effects from installing programs on the C:\ drive as long as it is maintained properly and kept cleaned out of the normal build up of junk (temp files, history, cookies, etc.).

What I have done is move the My Documents folder to my D:\ drive. This places all my files, photo's, etc on the D:\ drive. The move is transparent to routine operations and allows the effect of minimizing the size of the C:\ drive no matter how many files you have.

My personal preference is to have the C:\ and D:\ drives as two partitions on the same drive, but they can also be on separate hard drives. It doesn't really make much difference as far as operational processes are concerned. Personally, I prefer to reserve a second drive as a storage place for backup images of the Primary Master hard drive.

Raybro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.