Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm building my own computer for the first time. Learning alot that I didn't know before.

I'm piecing it together as the money comes available. Yesterday I got a new processor in:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036 (newegg website for processor)

I bought it with the idea that I could plug it into my current computer, and I thought I checked all compatibility issues, but forgot to check FSB. Turns out my mobo won't support the new processor. That's ok, the mobo I'm planning on buying soon will. However, I didn't realize the difference in FSB until after I put the new processor into my existing mobo. Computer wouldn't boot, I double checked specs, and sure enough, I need to wait to use the cpu.

I put the old cpu back in. However, now when I boot my computer, it loads to windows, then nothing will work correctly. Tons of error messages and interrupts from basically all of my applications, including Firefox, Dropbox, Thunderbird, Internet Explorer...basically everything.

It doesn't seem like it's a bios problem, but I don't know enough to say that confidently. Do I just need to reload windows? Any direction would be helpful. Let me know if you need any more info.

Here's the mobo specs: http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Pr...goryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=44&LanID=9

and here's the rest of the system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Manufacturer ECS
System Model P4M900T-M
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080013, 12/4/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory E:\WINDOWS
System Directory E:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2