Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't take much to get me stuffed, and this has done it. :confused:

dvd drive is SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 (shows up installed properly in device manager and appears to be working)
hardware decoder card is CineMaster C 3.0 (drivers appear to be installed)

What is happening is that cd's are read fine, but it will not co-operate with most dvd's. I say most because up till 5 minutes ago, not one has even opened in explorer. Even that one would not run.

I can't update firmware, I can't find drivers for xp, and it sure as hell used to work with windows 98. Also, it is not just dvd movies I am having hassles with, plain data disks also.

Is there anything i'm missing or should know about?

Cheers,
Devo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kev,

I'd actually already tried that driver and was unsuccessful.

One point that might help someone help me is the fact that when I bought the computer the decoder card was not necessary for it's operation but would only improve it's performance IIRC. Is there anything necessary for a drive of this vintage to go back to software decoding?

Cheers,
Devo

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Actually you may have better luck with it if you go back to software decoding. XP's media player should play them them (it works for me) or you can install a player but check to see if it is xp compatible. When I installed XP I had to download an update to get my PowerDvd program to work. Also There is an upgrade for Windows Media Player available. I just got it this week when media player told me it was available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should it make any difference what so ever though for a data disc. I sort of thought the decoder card would be for movies only....?

Data discs don't work at all at teh moment. They are a priority over movies for me.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers,
Devo

·
Banned
651 Posts
The CineMaster was made by Quadrant International, later called Divicore, Ravisent and finally Axeda. Sonic Solutions bought Axeda's DVD software product line, but the CineMaster C 3.0 technology was bought by the Cifelli Corporation, who still manufacture the card as the cifePEG C3.0. Drivers for Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP can be downloaded from there. Since the cifePEG C3.0 is the same board design as was made by Axeda, the Windows XP drivers should work for your card, even if it was made before they purchased the product line. Technical specs and e-mail support links are there, too.

If the CineMaster driver update doesn't work, then maybe try blowing the dust out of the DVD-ROM with air-in-a can. If you do this, be careful not to damage the optical reading element mechanism in the drive. If the drive still doesn't read DVD's properly, then a new DVD drive might solve the problem. Sometimes a firmware upgrade will fix drive problems, but the SD-608 does not have flash ROM, and so no downloadable upgrades are available for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, had no success with the hardware decoder drivers, though chances are I'm doing something stupid... :rolleyes:

Elvandil, I will give your suggestion a go tomorrow.

Along the same topic though, one thing that is confusing me is do I need any decoder at all to be reading DVD data discs? If I don't than perhaps my DVD drive is just shagged and I will need to purchase another one.

DVD movie playback is not important to me as I have a separate player + TV for that.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Cheers,
Devo

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
The decoder shouldn.t be necessary for data disks, that's for sure. But maybe it's not working properly is preventing your access.

DVD's require a much greater degree of precision in the read process since the data is obviously packed closer together. Try one of those commercial laser lens cleaners, too, or if you can see the lens, a Q-tip and alcohol to be sure it is shining brightly :D

·
Banned
651 Posts
The decoder card implements decoding functions that would otherwise be done by DVD playback software. When done in software, this functionality taxes the CPU more. It is not so much of an issue with newer PC's, but was with older systems. Why not try using the DVD drive without the decoder card installed in the system? If everything works OK, then the card isn't absolutely necessary. If you are still having problems, then maybe clean or replace the DVD drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.