Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, does anyone know of a cd writer or re writer still being sold new that will work with a PC driven by a 233MMX cpu?
I would prefer not LG as there appears to be some probs with these and some Mandrake linux and I dont want to find I have a writer that I destroy.
Re those writers that require a cpu faster than a 233MMX, is the speed a requirement for the new software or the writer hardware?
Thanks.

the background is

The old PC runs a pentium 233MMXon a chaintech 5ttm1 motherboard with 256 Mb of ram, thats the max the motherboard will handle. Currently this has a plextor 16/10/40 rewriter, PX-W1610TA, however this hiccuped the other day and only worked after I talked to it with a gentle bounce off the table top, :eek: I thought fixing things with a hammer was long gone :eek: . Seriously. So I started looking for a new writer and was surprised to find that my cpu is too slow for most, going by their listed requirements.
My new pc has 2 LG rewriters which 'need' 350 MHz but when used in the old machine they both read perfectly however their write software installs slowly and seems to run slow and the one trial I have done so far gave under burns. I have also tried the old software with the new rewriters and a new window appears during software installation that is looking for me to identify the device, which wasnt listed, impliing that something in the software is device specific.
Strangely using the LG CD writers in the old machine I have been able to format a rewritable cd as a floppy and write files to it as if it were a floppy but the proper write software doesnt seem to work and I dont want to risk trashing the LG writers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.