Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thank you reading, i currently have windows 2000 pro
and i am going to buy winxp pro soon, but i have a few questions..
1, can i do an in place upgrade? without losing my settings?
2, will upgrading affect my cable modem settings?
3,do i need to delete anything or just keep everything the same..
4,is this a complicated task? and do i have the right system riquirements

thank you for replying

·
Registered
236 Posts
You should be able to keep all of your current settings, and if you only play on upgrading, buy XP Pr Upgrade, how ever, i would reccomend the full version of xp pro, all of your settings and drivers should be the same when you upgrade though.

btw, when you go to install it, make sure that the selection box in the beginning is set to upgrade, NOT new installation.

-Good Luck

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ben: If you go with the Upgrade, you will need to have the 2000 installation disk handy. You will be asked for it somewhere in the setup to prove you have a vilid copy of 2000 pro.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks for your replies but, the problem is that i dont have the windows 2000 pro
cd, it came with a bootleg version.. someone put this machine together for me,
will this be a problem? i am buying a legit copy of winxp pro, and will i be able to use it?
thanks.ben

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would buy a full vertion of XP, do a full reformat and get that Bootleg of your system, you need to back up all you data, and get the drivers for the hardware.

Or buy a XP upgrade, and a cheap 98 disc, and upgrade that way, as your currant OS is bootleg, I very much doubt it will allow upgrade, and quite right to.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ben: When you buy the legit copy of XP Pro, make sure it is a full or OEM copy.
That way you won't need to have the 2000 disk.
You can get a Retail XP pro full version from Tiger Direct for $140.00.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, an OEM copy of XP won't perform an upgrade installation, it must be a full retail copy.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Huh, I think everyone is misreading this post. If 2000 is on there then booting to XP cd would not require producing a 2000 disk copy as XP setup can see that, but to do an upgrade, you really don't need to boot to cd anyway, you can do that in Windows with an update XP cd which he said he is buying. There is no need for a full version JW unless he is doing a clean install, but the question was to upgrade it. An where does "Oem" copy come from anway. If it's an Oem Ms copy, of course an upgrade will work in Windows. If it's an Oem Dell or other then no it won't work no matter what way they do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay thanks, for your reply's , so i can just insert my new xp pro disk and install without
changing anything and i will upgrade by it self?
here is some specs

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+, ~1.8GHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

DirectX 9.0c

Windows 2000 Professional service pack 4

RADEON 9200

srry i am new to all this..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My thought was that if he were to clean install with a Windows OEM disk, which costs the same as a Windows Upgrade disk, he would have no need of a 2000 disk.
Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If you do an upgrade, it will see the 2000 existing installation, and continue to install without any problem, and leave all your applications and settings intact.

By the way, the upgrade CD is a full version CD with the upgrade hook in the installation routine. The discount is based on having already paid for a previous version of Windows, hence the check for a previous version.

One can use an upgrade CD to do a reformat/reinstall just like the full version, with the exception that you must have a previous version CD to insert when the routine asks for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay but like i said it is not a legit windows 2000 pro running on my
machine it's a bootleg im buying a legit winxp pro next week, so i have to be sure..
is this the right version i should use

do i have to still do a clean install?

thanks for replying

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Windows XP Upgrade CD will upgrade over Windows 2000 very successfully, and retain installed applications and settings.

As I said before, the upgrade CD is a full version CD with the upgrade hook in the installation routine. The discount is based on having already paid for a previous version of Windows, hence the check for a previous version.

If you legitimately own and physically possess a previous version of Windows (except for Windows 95), then you have a legitimate upgrade path.

Also, the full version CD of Windows XP will perform an upgrade over an existing installation of Windows. It doesn't have to be an "Upgrade" CD to do an upgrade instead of a clean install.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BenRichards said:
okay but like i said it is not a legit windows 2000 pro running on my
machine it's a bootleg im buying a legit winxp pro next week, so i have to be sure..
is this the right version i should use

do i have to still do a clean install?

thanks for replying
It is possible that when you try to upgrade, it may find the 2000 version is illegal and not let you install it. You will then be stuck with the upgrade. I would buy the full version and not take any chances since most places will only let you return software if you get the exact same version.:)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If the upgrade CD finds an issue with your existing 2K installation (which I seriously doubt) then you will need to do a clean install, because a full install CD will find the same issue.

You can still do a clean install with the upgrade CD IF you have a previous Windows version installation CD (except for Windows 95).

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yes, there are two different versions of XP.

bbearren said:
By the way, the upgrade CD is a full version CD with the upgrade hook in the installation routine. The discount is based on having already paid for a previous version of Windows, hence the check for a previous version.

One can use an upgrade CD to do a reformat/reinstall just like the full version, with the exception that you must have a previous version CD to insert when the routine asks for it.
The only difference between the two packages is the installation hook in the Upgrade version--that's why it's cheaper. Both packages have full capabilities. To use the upgrade package, you must have a previous version of Windows installed, or produce an installation CD for a previous version to place in the CD tray when the upgrade installation asks for it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
O.K. This is my final word on this.

There are 3 ways to get XP home on your computer.
#1-buy an Upgrade disk. about $90.00. You will need proof of a ligimate copy of a previous version of Windows in order to install this Upgrade. (You don't have one, so Upgrade is out).

#2- OEM disk. About $90.00. This is a full genuine version from Microsoft that is sold to distributors for sale to Mom and Pop stores to use on custom built machines. I have two of these disks that I bought for two machines that I built. Both of them have gone through the Windows Genuine Advantage program without a whimper.

#3-Full retail version. about $190.00. As the name implies this is a full Genuine version that is supported by Microsoft phone support. Thus the extra $100.00. ($20.00 will get you all the support you need right here as TSG) The $20.00 will get you an Ad free forum and help pay for some bandwidth or other expense of running this fine vessel of information.

Ben: The choice is yours. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would choose #2 and look for it at some of your favorite online retailers. If you don't know of any retailers, just ask and you will be enlightened by a dozen or more TSG'ers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.