Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HPxw8000, XPPro. At first I thought I had virus/malware problems but I fear it may go deeper. I can no longer load any .exe. files, can't do a system restore, have no access to installed programs except AFG and Avira which can do scans but are ineffective. I'm attempting to do a clean install which I've done before. HP requires SCSI drivers (downloaded from them) to be installed (F6) but a window "txtsetup.oem could not be found" pops up. HP forums are unhelpful. Many of these problems are completely new to this computer (and me for that matter) so now I'm trying to find a good tech forum (hope this is it.) Is it Ram, motherboard or something else? Not sure how to diagnose it. I'm truly desperate, or ignorant, or both!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Some PC manufacturers have recovery partitions to return the PC to as shipped condition, or a set of recovery discs to do the same, Installing XP from an XP CD will damage the restore partition if it has one.

Did you copy all of the scsi files to your diskette?

What scsi controller do you have, there are several to choose from.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...495&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#113100

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I noticed you said you had access to both AFG and Avira. Was that AFG a typo and did you mean AVG? If that is the case and you have two Antivirus programs installed and running, that can do some really strange stuff to a computer.

If all this supposition has any basis in fact and you are able to do so, uninstall one of those AV programs.

Raybro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thx for all that looking, that's the right computer. Are you suggesting I should install firmware? I was trying to install the LSI Logic 320, was that wrong? I'll try to install firmware but do you know if there will be some sort of irreparable damage caused if I try it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought this used from work and they provided the SCSI driver, but I've since lost that disk. I have 2 harddrives and the Lsi Logic is noted right there on the bios at startup so it was easy to track it down from the HP site. This originally had a Linux OS, so I wiped that out using Dban and then installed XP using the floppy SCSI driver provided. In a year or so I did a reinstall so, not knowing any better, I Dbaned the computer again and did the reinstall using the floppy SCSI driver provided. I know now I didn't have to Dban the second time. So this time I just went through the XPPro disk instructions. The only difference was that I downloaded the driver from HP. Now set-up won't recognize thetxtsetup.oem. So that that brings me to the point where I'm looking for recovery disk(s) for the xw8000. I don't know how many of them are there or what they contain because I've never seen what they look like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may well be a virus but I'm entirely unable to load any exe. files so in spite of the best efforts of the all the respondents on the security/hjt forum I thought it best to do a reinstall

·
Registered
513 Posts
So this time.... You didn't boot and nuke? It shouldn't hurt to dban. XP should format/write mbr during install. But to get to that point you need to have those LSI drivers you mentioned ready to go on a floppy. It is possible that the floppy is bad, they have a habit of doing that after a few years. The file on the HP site is meant to be run in Windows which won't do any good during setup. Also, you cannot run .exe files anyway. Do you have access to another computer with a floppy drive? To make a new floppy you need to run the .exe for the drivers from HP and select the "do not delete files after install" option during install. Then note the folder that the files are in and copy the contents of that folder to a floppy to use during setup (F6).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
juju, you did it, thx. I made the mistake of simply loading the .exe into the floppy thinking, "oh sure, start up can open the .exe" duuuuuuuuh, thx again!

·
Registered
513 Posts
:up:

I'm glad I could point you in the right direction and that you are good to go.

Be careful. Unfortunately, the nasties are everywhere these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.