Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for Office XP to create numerous hidden files all beginning with ~$? Those symbols are followed by the partial file name of existing Word documents. All the files are hidden, so when I change folder options to not show hidden files, they disappear, but will they eventually pile up and slow down the system?

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
On a fresh reboot, do they still exist?
If not, nothing to worry about. :)

In Word, you can go to Tools-Options, Save tab and turn off "allow fast saves". It's an undesirable setting anyway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure the exact definition of a "fresh reboot," but they are still there after turning the computer off and on again. Fast saves is already unchecked on Word, but background saves is enabled. Could that be the cause?

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Start--Shutdown--Restart would be fine for a *fresh reboot*.

You can uncheck background saves too. Yes, it could be the cause, but you will ALWAYS get temporary files WHILE working with docs and spreadsheets and such. It's when they exist after a fresh reboot that they should be deleted, and if lots of them get created and aren't going away, then we should deal with that. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'll uncheck background saves and delete all of the hidden files, then see if they start to come back and not go away. They certainly haven't been going away up to this point. I'll update you soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.